Let’s cut right to the chase. There are three types of colorful berries, a crumbly topping, a golden crust, and ultimately 3 sticks of butter baked in this 9×13 pan of berry pie bars.
Or… well… used to be 3 sticks of butter.
I think Bjork and I dealt with the first 2 sticks pretty well (judging by the picture), and the third is headed where the first two have gone. Which is to the top of the list of things we ate, loved, and will love again.
Because what’s not to love about a bar so versatile that it can be served warmed or chilled, with ice cream or whipped cream, for dessert or breakfast (…um, it’s fruit)?Print
These triple berry pie bars and perfect for summer get-togethers. Buttery crust, sweet berry filling, and a crumbly top layer. It’s like pie in bar form!
Crust and Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup flour
- pinch salt
- zest of 1/2 lemon (I did not use this, but I wished that I had!)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 (16-oz) packages frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- To make the crust and topping, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Put oats into the food processor and pulse until a coarse “flour” forms. Add the regular flour, sugar, and salt to the food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes, and add to the flour mixture. Process until the butter is evenly distributed but the mixture is still crumbly, 30-60 seconds. (I had to do this in 3 batches because of the size of my food processor.)
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the mixture to use as the topping. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan, and bake 12-15 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add the sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Gently fold in the berries and spoon the mixture over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture evenly over the filling, and bake 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool at least 1 hour before cutting into bars. Serve bars warmed, chilled, or at room temperature! Either way, I’d recommend them with a scoop of ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: triple berry pie bars, pie bars, berry pie bars
Yes, I’d say this dessert recipe is a keeper.
My skinny jeans might say otherwise.
But I say it’s a keeper, and I make the rules around here.