Goodbye sweatpants, hot chocolate, and book that I’ve been trying to finish for a year.
Hello you mean old alarm clock. You mean old alarm clock that quacks at me every morning at 5am. Mmmhm. That’s quack, like a duck. I can’t think of anyone in the world who would want to wake up that way except my special boy.
So, yes. We wake up to quacking alarm clocks and we eat eggplant pizzas. We’re special together, I guess.
But these eggplant pizzas really are special in a delicious way, so don’t write the specialness off just yet. Crispy, golden brown outside, tangy tomato sauce, toppings, and melted cheese. It’s an almost-pizza and it’s yummy. Bjork took seconds, I took thirds, and even my sweet 10-year-old friend ate these pizzas and enjoyed them.
And here’s something to brighten your Monday – they’re healthy!
Cause this weekend? My eating? Let’s just say there might have been a bucket of french fries and a Juicy Lucy involved.
So I guess today is a new day where I eat healthy things like eggplant pizza covered in melted cheese. Cool.
- 1 large unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 1 cup tomato sauce (pizza, marinara, whatever you like)
- 1 cup shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese (can sub provolone or other cheese)
- toppings: fresh spinach, pepperoni, green pepper, Canadian bacon, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press each slice of eggplant with paper towels to remove a little of the excess moisture. Put egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, then coat with breadcrumbs. Put on a baking sheet and drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp on one side. Turn each piece over, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil, and bake another 5-8 minutes.
- Top each slice with a little tomato sauce, cheese, and your toppings. Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
And here’s the part where you leave me a suggestion for an alarm clock ringtone that won’t make me crazy.
In exchange for a pizza? Please?
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products