Between Naked Juice and various health blogs, Green Monsters have been hot for a while now. So as much as I’d like to take the credit for this genius idea, adding spinach to a smoothie is nothing new. Except it is new to me, because I always turned my nose up at the green, health-nutty vibe of a smoothie made with spinach.
I come to you today with good news! I’ve gotten over my grossed-out, freaked-out phase. I gave it a try. And this green, healthy smoothie tastes good. I would even go so far as to say it tastes great.
If I can get Bjork to drink a smoothie with spinach and flax it (and ask for seconds), you know that it’s got to taste pretty darn good. And he didn’t even go running for the Fruity Pebbles afterwards – this greenie is filling!
Besides all the nutritional benefits, it’s even kind of nice to look at! Serving it in a wine glass doesn’t hurt, either. Bonus: it matches my favorite green napkins (the ones that are in all my food pictures… time to go shopping?)!
- 2 cups + of spinach
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tbs. flaxseed meal
- Place all ingredients in the blender in order given (so spinach is at the bottom). Blend until smooth. (Maybe it’s just my blender, but I can never get it to be completely homogenous. Usually I have lots of green flecks in it from the spinach, and you can see the flax a little bit.)
- Add ice cubes (optional) and blend until no ice chunks remain.
All of this green is most definitely in preparation for tomorrow’s post, so drink up!
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products