What a beautiful sight.
At least, to me it is. Creamy, thick, slightly cheesy (ok, maybe really cheesy), and a tad spicy makes for a perfect vegetarian root vegetable stew.
The only mistake I made in this recipe was not buying all my root vegetables at the Farmer’s Market. Are the Farmer’s Markets in Minnesota even open anymore? Sigh. Gone are the days when the biggest thing on my agenda was going to the Farmer’s Market.
You will need a lot of root vegetables for this stew, so if you do have access to the Farmer’s Market, stock up on potatoes, parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas!
And before you go assuming things about my level of food knowledge… I have never even touched a rutabaga before.
It would be a shame not to serve this soup in an adorable soup pot (with lid)! Better yet if it’s made by a family member!Print
This root vegetable stew is a perfect vegetarian recipe for staying warm and cozy. Yukon potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, cream, and rosemary. Yum.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled Yukon gold potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 1/4 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled rutabaga (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled turnip
- 1 1/4 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled parsnip (I used carrots instead!)
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cheese of choice (I used sliced Swiss)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and 2 teaspoons rosemary; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in potato and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a simmer; cook, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place 3 cups vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid; secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid. Blend until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in cream, pepper, and salt.
- Preheat broiler, top with cheese, and broil until soft and melty!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 240
Keywords: root vegetable soup, vegetable soup, creamy vegetable soup
I truly looked forward to eating this for lunch today. Plus, it helped me feel satisfied enough to keep up with the world’s greatest 4th graders. Which is always a good thing.
What are your favorite stews?
Do you have a favorite soup serving bowl? It’s hard to beat a hand-made soup bowl with a lid, but I’m sure I’m not the only one with a special bowl. What’s yours?