These healthy chipotle sweet potato skins are stuffed with a chipotle-sweet potato filling, black beans, corn, and topped with cheese. SO GOOD.
Healthy Chipotle Sweet Potato Skins
Just made these tonight…..OMG! They are amazing! My family loved them and they will be a regular meal from now on.
Oh my goodness. Like, WHOA.
Could there be anything better than chipotle sweet potato skins filled to the brim with roasted corn, black beans, fresh cilantro, sweet potato mash, a kick of spicy chipotle, and a handful of melted cheese?
Answer: Yes, obviously – it’s chipotle sweet potato skins on a plate in my lap while wearing my best sweatpants and Netflixing my life away.
Highlight of the fall right there. Highlight. Of. The. Fall.
I loved these so much that I made them two days in a row. Like, before we had even made a dent in the first round leftovers, I made them again. I know. It doesn’t make sense. I’ve lost all my brain cells to these cheesy chipotle little bites. I won’t even tell you about the midnight fridge raid that ended with a face full of chipotle sweet potato filling, and I definitely won’t tell you about eating these for breakfast with a fried egg over the top SAY WHAAAT yes I did.
Do these make amazing leftovers?
Do these kind of count as football food that is both healthy and not sad?
Do these inspire greatness on all levels of your life?
Yes to all of the above.
Chipotle sweet potato skins in your life. Now. You need them. Go.
Watch How To Make This Recipe
Healthy Chipotle Sweet Potato Skins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
These healthy chipotle sweet potato skins are stuffed with a chipotle-sweet potato filling, black beans, corn, and topped with cheese.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can corn, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2–4 INDIVIDUAL chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced or pureed (not the whole can!)
- 1 ounce light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt (+ more to taste)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheese (Pepperjack, Cheddar, Colby Jack… anything will work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, place corn in a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with no butter or oil. Sprinkle with salt and other Mexican seasoning (as much as you want – thinking taco seasoning or a mix of chili powder and cumin). Do not stir! Let corn roast for several minutes before stirring. Let it roast for a few more minutes before stirring again. Continue this for about 10 minutes, until corn is browned and roasted on the outside. Set aside in a small bowl with the black beans.
- Saute the onion in the butter over medium heat until soft and translucent. Set aside.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven when fork-tender. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Scrape the flesh of the sweet potatoes out, leaving the skins intact. Sometimes leaving a thin layer of potato inside of the skins helps them hold together better.
- Mix the flesh of the sweet potatoes with the cream cheese, sour cream, chipotle peppers, and salt. You can use a mixer or just a spoon, depending on how soft the potatoes are. When well-mixed, gently stir in the black beans, roasted corn, sauteed onions, and cilantro.
- Scoop the filling into the skins and top each with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
The filling is delicious all by itself! One serving size is 1 potato skin.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican sweet potato skins, sweet potato skins, healthy sweet potato skins, potato skins
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our easy Mexican-inspired recipes page. Check it out!
That looks OH so yummy! Gonna have to go sweet potato shopping, I think! 😀
This sound fabulous! Love those fillings!
Yes these are great.
I normally try to stay away from potato skins because they are not the healthiest and once I start eating them, I probably won’t stop so I love this healthy alternative! Sweet potatoes work so well with Mexican flavours.
I know – sweet potatoes with black beans is my fave! What a weird and delicious combo!
Love that you roasted the corn for this. Looks TDF!
That was my favorite part! Yummy!
Like Whoa is right!! I am digging all the colors and zest here!
Thanks Megan! 🙂
Oh my goodness, yes, please. I have had a craving lately for sweet potatoes, and I think this is the perfect way to satisfy it. I love these flavors!
The flavors with the chipotle in there are seriously kickin. Gotta love a good mid-day kick.
My kind of meal!
That sweet potato is just heaven-sent! The cheese on it looks..so melty and perfect.
It’s the best way to enjoy cheese. 🙂
Sounds delicious – can’t wait for the book!!
Thanks Emily! I’m anxious to SHIP IT out the door! Er, web door. Whatever. 🙂
I’m thinking this will go on the menu this weekend, when my sister and her husband are in town. Maybe with some broiled salmon to accompany it . . . Mmmmm!
Good call! Make extra – I’ve been devouring the leftovers all day! 🙂
Oh I forgot about sweet potatoes and chipotle flavors! We used to make this dish with that combo, but it’s been ages since we’ve had it! And I’m sad to say, I’ve never had roasted corn. So maybe I should change that, like, immediately.
Yes, you should. Because holy yum, it’s to die for.
I LOVE outtakes! Sometimes they’re my favorite part of a movie. This is pretty much exactly how I imagine I would be if I tried to make a video. The thought of a camera in my face makes me say EEEEEK!
Lol.. there was a lot of start, restart, and restart again. The most dramatic parts (like that one part where I fell of the chair and plopped down on the floor?) were actually edited out. Yeah.
Is my face going to be on here? 🙂
Bjork’s creative editing makes me look like a ding dong.
Heehee, loved the outtake video 😀 Also, love sweet potato skins! I need to try these as soon as possible 😀 They look amazing, especially that corn!
Glad you liked it. You and my husband must have the same sense of humor. 🙂
Oh my gosh, loved that video! I think outtakes are always the best part of movies, I’m that one person left in the theater through all the credits waiting to see if they did them.
I want these potatoes for that roasted corn alone! Yum 🙂
I love outtakes too, but funny how I like them better on someone else. 🙂 Ha!
Gonna have to make these soon. My fiancee loves sweet potatoes and I’ll never turn down a chance to cook with Mexican flavors.
I’m with ya. Definitely my favorite international food. 🙂
I LOVE when you post a recipe that includes “healthy” in the title, and a big slab of melted cheese. . . It doesn’t have to be an oxymoron. . . . Right? Cheese IS health food, in my book.
I wish I had a stash of these potatoes in my fridge too!
Oh yes. It’s calcium. Yup.
This looks a lot like something I posted recently: https://cupcakesandkalechips.com/mexican-black-bean-stuffed-baked-sweet-potatoes-recipe/
Your sounds really good with the sweet potato flesh mixed with the cream cheese!
Ha! Funny. Great minds think alike, I guess?
Ohhhh this looks so good. Thanks for sharing and pinning 😀 Must try!!!
Hope you like them! 🙂
I had the ingredients to make the spinach/garbanzo bean version of this, but had to make this instead! It was AMAZING!
Ahh yes! Glad you liked it Amanda! 🙂
Studying abroad in London right now and this is perfect for the cooking-challenged college student like me! Plus it brings back good memories of Mexican food I get back in my hometown of Tucson. Thanks!!
Aw, fun! I studied abroad for a semester in Spain. How you’re loving London!
My mouth is watering! I love sweet potatoes and Mexican, best of both worlds 😀 Gonna have to go to the store to get some sweet potatoes!
Do it! You’ll love em.
Even your outtakes are freaking adorable! Is there anything you do badly? Please say yes. 🙂
Um, what you didn’t see was the edited version of the outtakes. Like where I fall on the floor and make weird noises. We decided that would scare people off…
What an awesome recipe! 🙂 I cant wait to try this sometime!
hi i live in a condo, i dont have an oven. you got any remedies for that? i would really like to try this out
Do you have a microwave? You can bake potatoes in a microwave – the skins probably won’t get crispy enough, but you can certainly make the filling. We ate the filling without the shells since we had extra and it was delicious!