How to Make Hummus! The easiest way to make to smoothest, tastiest hummus at home. Perfect for dips, spreads, bowls, sandwiches, and more!
Hummus is an incredibly versatile recipe that can be used as both a dip and a spread. It’s creamy, delicious, and surprisingly easy to make. So before you go out to stock up on the store-bought stuff, try making your own hummus at home and you’ll be thrilled by just how easy it is to make.
Watch How To Make Hummus:
Step 1: Get your chickpeas ready. You can use canned chickpeas or dried chickpeas that you have cooked ahead of time (see notes below for Instant Pot chickpea instructions). Rinse and drain your chickpeas thoroughly.
You can reserve the liquid from the canned chickpeas (called aquafaba) to use in variety of vegan recipes.
For one batch of hummus you will want to use two cans or about 3 cups of cooked chickpeas.
Step 2: Gently squeeze the chickpeas and remove the thin skin. This step of peeling the chickpeas is optional, but highly recommended if you have the time.
Drop your peeled chickpeas into a bowl and discard the peels.
Peeling your chickpeas before making hummus results in a much smoother, silkier hummus. The hummus on the left was made with peeled chickpeas and the hummus on the right was made with un-peeled chickpeas.
Step 3: Place your peeled chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, salt, and water to a food processor or high speed blender. You can add lemon juice and tahini for a more authentically flavored hummus if desired.
Step 4: Process until smooth.
Serve hummus with pita chips, vegetables, or use it as a spread or creamy dressing!
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- up to ½ cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- tahini and/or lemon juice (start with a tablespoon of each)
How To Cook Chickpeas In An Instant Pot
Cooking your own chickpeas can be a great way to make budget-friendly hummus. Take some help from the Instant Pot to cook dried chickpeas quickly and easily. Use these cooked chickpeas to make homemade hummus or any other recipe that calls for chickpeas.
- Rinse and sort through your bag of dried chickpeas.
- Remove any bits of stone or other debris.
- Transfer chickpeas to your Instant Pot.
- Fill the pot halfway full with water.
- Place on the lid and set valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes and allow pot to depressurize naturally for 10 minutes. Quick release the remaining pressure.
- Drain the cooked chickpeas.
Can I Make Hummus Without Tahini?
Yes! While tahini is a traditional ingredient in hummus, you can make delicious hummus using only chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
What Is Tahini?
Tahini is a paste made from finely ground sesame seeds. It is similar to nut butter.
How Long Does Homemade Hummus Last?
Homemade hummus can be kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Check for signs of spoilage before eating.
Is Hummus Healthy?
Hummus is made with simple ingredients that carry a number of health benefits.
- Chickpeas are a good source of fiber and protein
- Olive oil is a healthy fat that has a large amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Garlic can help improve cholesterol levels and combat sickness such as the common cold
Hummus is a great dip to serve with a variety of vegetables and can be an easy way to get plant powered protein along with a healthy serving of vegetables!