I have a thing going with mushrooms.
It’s not really a good thing. It’s more like a grossed out thing.
But then I had a delicious portobello burger on our road trip, and things started heating up for me and the mushroom. So I bought some.
That might have been a little ambitious, being that I had no idea how to wash them, prepare them, or cook them.
Then, just as I was about the start cutting them, I noticed the gills.
Yes, gills. What is a vegetable doing with gills? Oh, wait, it’s actually a fungus, right?
This should be illegal.
Wait, OK? This story has a happy, cheesy ending.
So I decided to go ahead and chop the portobellos, gills and all.
I know. You’re probably frowning at the screen right now.
But after eating 5 slices of pizza, I did my research. And I have since learned that many people do scrape out the dreaded gills, but only for coloration purposes. Portobello gills are totally edible. Whew.
So here’s where things get a little crazy: I loved them on this pesto pizza. I honestly loved the taste and texture of these portobellos (gills and all) baked with roasted red peppers atop a punchy pesto crust. And of course, under a blanket of melted cheese.Print
Portobello Red Pepper & Pesto Pizza
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This simple 5 ingredient pesto pizza features portobello mushrooms and red peppers. Easy and delicious for your next pizza night!
- your favorite pizza dough (I used a loaf of frozen bread dough because I had some, but if you’re going homemade, try this)
- 2–3 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 5 jarred roasted red peppers, sliced
- 3/4 cup parmesan mozzarella blend
- 1/4 cup pesto (store bought or homemade)
- Follow the directions for whatever dough you are using. When it’s risen and ready, roll it into a circle and place it on the pizza pan. I let mine rest for another 20 minutes after rolling it.
- Decide if you want to leave the gills in or not. Chop them into long, thin slices.
- Spread the pizza dough with pesto. Top with portobello slices and roasted red pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes, then check periodically until it’s done. Your time and temperature will depend on your dough, too.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: red pepper pizza, pesto pizza, mushroom pizza
Mushrooms. Not just for weirdos anymore.
Or else I’ve become one?
Holy cow, this was amazing! I made this for my boyfriend and we both loved it! I ended up using a small amount of each asiago, romano and mozzerella cheeses and that was an awesome combination.
How come I can’t add this recipe to my Recipe Box like your other recipes?
Ohh, shoot. Because it’s older (like wayyy older) and I guess it got missed when we put all the recipes over to the Easy Recipe plug in!
Its my favorite dish and i am always prefer to eat this pesto pizza, i am really trying to make this stuff . thank you for sharing this dish making process.
I like these pesto recipes
Do you happen to like Bowls meals?
They seem versatile and a way to have a meal in one dish (bowl).