Okay, there are a few essential things I look for in a brownie:
- Appropriate gooeyness
Imagine your most thick, dense, fudgy, rich, beautifully underbaked brownie. Now imagine it studded with soft caramel. Not like a sickly-sweet caramel. A just-right, flavor-rich, soft, silky caramel. That you made yourself, cause you’re a boss, duh. Now imagine that the sticky tops of the caramel pools on top of your brownies are not only oozing with love from the sides of the adorable Pinterest-level heart-cut-outs, but that they are also speckled with delicate, flakey sea salt. It screams for a glass of milk or a latte, complete with candles and pajamas. And by pajamas I definitely mean sweatpants and t-shirts from 10th grade softball camp. No need to make this into a whole fancy thing.
Is it even a surprise that these beauties, these love-of-my-life salted caramel brownies just straight-up have it all? They have everything. They check off everything on my list. They literally ARE everything.
They are my Valentine.
Speaking of which, do you guys even like boxes of chocolates? I might be the ultimate food snob right now, but I would easily take a batch of these brownies over a box of chocolates. Or even flowers. Just skip em, k? I’ll take the brownies.
How To Make Our Salted Caramel Brownies (1 MIN):
Thinking you need to make these happen for someone in your life. Go ahead and drop them the link. Aka drop yourself the link. Hint: loves salted caramel brownies, dog snuggles, and Riverdale.
This genius recipe was inspired by Smitten Kitchen, the Food Blogging Master, and her salted caramel brownies. GIRL THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT. You must.Print
Salted Caramel Brownies ♡ thick, dense, fudgy brownies stuffed with homemade salted caramel. HEAVEN.
Yummy Homemade Caramel:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
Fudgy Thick Brownies:
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (one bar)
- 1 stick salted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350. Line a flat plate with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Make that caramel: place the sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Stir frequently – the sugar will form clumps and eventually become smooth. Remove from heat. Add butter and stir in. Add cream and stir in. Return to heat – let it get smooth and bubbly for another few minutes. Pour the caramel on the parchment-lined plate. Freeze for 20-30 minutes to solidify.
- Brownie time: Melt the chocolate and the butter (microwave or double boiler). Whisk in the sugar. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Whisk in the flour and salt.
- Caramel meets brownie: Cut the cooled caramel into small squares. Stir most of them into the brownie batter and transfer to the pan. Arrange the last few caramel pieces on top of the brownies. Bake for 30 minutes (more or less to taste). Cool in the fridge or freezer for easier cutting. FALL IN LOVE!
Heart Shapes: If you want to get heart shapes, you can either use a heart-shaped cookie cutter (affiliate link), or just print out a heart-shaped piece of paper and cut around it with a small knife. If you cut out heart shapes, you should be able to get 6-8 hearts with some scraps leftover. If you just cut into squares, you can easily get 9 big brownies.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caramel brownies, valentine’s brownies, salted caramel brownies
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of easy dessert recipes. Check it out!