This recipe is sponsored by Almond Breeze
The thing is, I try not to be TOO basic with my blog recipes, but then I remember the truth: I am basic. I LOVE basic.
And veg-friendly soups that are basic and flexible? They are in my zone.
So today I introduce you to my current favorite summer soup, the massive bowl of highly decorated Chipotle Corn Chowder. Let’s start things off right with a close-up.
Even though this recipe is gluten free and vegan, it’s bomb-diggity creamy. We have three, maybe four, things to thank for that:
- olive oil
- sweet corn
Something magical happens when you take these four ingredients (and maybe just a few more vegetables that you happened to throw in because it’s GARDEN SEASON, HELLO BOSS!) and whiz them together in your blender. Scientifically it’s maybe called an emulsion, plus the starches of the potatoes and carrots? Here – we’re basic, remember? – it’s called miraculous glory. That something magical is a creamy, velvety, feels-like-it-should-be-cream-based soup that is everything my summer corn-chowder loving self could ever want. That Almond Breeze is gifting us something special right here: the combo of creamy and nutty and just a teeny tiny percent naturally sweet-tasting is the perfect friend for corn, potatoes, olive oil, vegetable stock, and the garden vegetable gang.
HOW TO MAKE OUR CHIPOTLE CORN CHOWDER:
Hmm? You want to throw a chipotle in there? Two chipotles? And some fresh basil?
You would. You so totally would.
(And so would I, which is why we’re friends.)
So far my favorite addition to this soup has been zucchini, and my favorite toppings list would be a mile long but I will condense so that you don’t unsubscribe: ribboned basil, runny pesto, infused olive oils, hemp hearts. I KNOW. I cannot not make this fake-fancy. It’s a disorder.
Not that you guys know anything about this, but I’ve found this soup to be a good remedy to the I-Don’t-Want-To-Make-Food-In-The-Summer blues.
It says: goodbye, depressing desk lunch eaten while looking wistfully outside at the nice weather. It says: goodbye, chips and Magic Green Sauce for dinner because I cannot be bothered to cook. It says: hello, summer lover. 💛
Let’s eat and be merry.
This Chipotle Corn Chowder is creamy, just a little spicy, and chock-full of summer vegetables, including corn, zucchini, and basil. Vegan / Gluten Free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups red potatoes, diced
- half an onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sweet corn kernels
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk
- 1–2 individual chipotle peppers
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, for serving
- seeds, nuts, oils, etc. for topping
- Sauté: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add all vegetables + salt and sauté until tender-crisp. Add the broth and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Blend: Transfer 3 cups of soup to a high-powered blender. Add the almondmilk and chipotles. Blend until desired smoothness (I go for super smooth with this one).
- Finish: Stir the blended mixture into the large pot to combine with remaining soup. Serve into bowls and top with lots of fresh basil, pesto, olive oil, hot sauce (!), and maybe some seeds or nuts to be fancy.
My favorite toppings are ribboned basil, pesto, and hemp hearts.
Go garden-wild! You can kinda use any summer vegetables you like. Spinach is good, if you’re that kind of healthy person.
Be sure to season very generously with salt and pepper – the combo of corn and almondmilk makes this one surprisingly sweet.
Thank you to Almond Breeze for making this corn chowder a reality!
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of best healthy soups. Check it out!