We need to talk, like, big time.
This is the easiest and best way I’ve ever made chicken EVER. Period. I’m not even going to beat around the bush about it – you need to know the secret to this 3 Ingredient Grilled Chicken right this very second.
The secret is equal parts:
- soy sauce
- (and a few cloves of smashed garlic)
And chicken, doh.
Ummm hi, that’s all.
Honestly, I’d like to keep you around because we’re internet besties and we have good times together, but you probably don’t even need to look at the rest of this post because I bet you can not only get started making this grilled chicken in the next two minutes – you can actually just tuck that combination in your head (try chanting it to commit to memory: equal parts soy sauce, honey, and water – very good, friends) and keep it filed away for all your future grilled chicken needs.
Even as a flustered person trying to grill for the second time in my life and stressing majorly, I can handle that short ingredient list. THANK YOU LIFE.
Three ingredients // marinate // grill it up.
HOW TO MAKE OUR 3-INGREDIENT CHICKEN (45 SEC):
The chicken is lightly saucy and sticky on the outside and tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor on the inside, and grilled to golden brown grill perfection on skewers because CUUUUTE! It’s really adaptable since it just starts with a base of three ingredients, so you could think of a bajillion and one ways to give it more of a personalized kick and they would all be just as simple as tossing a few more ingredients into the bag. Ginger, maybe? Jalapeño? Peanut butter to do a creamy-peanut-sauce type thing? I have plenty of ideas for elaboration in my head.
But as is – the short recipe – that’s the kind of recipe that can stay filed away in the back of my head and that will get pulled out whenever we need to feed people (read: ourselves) something really summery, flavorful, and satisfying.
This grilled chicken goes with just about everything, including but not limited to 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce, and it makes for a great Getting Ready For The Week recipe that you can keep in the fridge to toss in salads, wraps, and noodle and rice dishes.
Normally me and chicken don’t really love each other. I mean, you guys know what I eat better than anyone, and you know that I don’t make a lot of chicken in my life. This is true.
But that’s because I can only morally support chicken that is really, really delicious – flavor, texture, all of it – and a lot of the chicken that I find myself eating in life is just medium delicious. I’m super picky with chicken, and in this case that’s actually a good thing for everyone because I’m not interested in something halfway good. AND THIS. This passes my Delicious Chicken Test.
I have to have to HAVE TO to give a huge shout out to my friend Liz for sharing this genius idea with me – she and her huzz were actually sweet enough to invite us to her house for dinner (Sage included!) and feed us the best grilled pork using this 3-ingredient marinade.
And in return, I was greedy enough to seriously badger her for the very explicit how-to on the pork and then replicate the process with chicken and post it on my food blog. I’m so fun like that.
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s so easy that EVEN I CAN DO IT. Like – I can actually grill. I can make grilled chicken. I can make grilled chicken that tastes so super good. And you’re talking to a person who does not grill.
Look, Mom, I’m doing it!
I’d like to close today with one more shout out to my 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce, which continues to be amazing on everything including soy sauce and honey grilled chicken. I’m very aware that it doesn’t even make sense (avocado and parsley in a sauce? plus soy sauce chicken?) but I do not question the powers of that sauce.
So. This pretty chicken! And the smell of the grill. And the taste of the plate piled high with rice, chicken, cilantro, lime, and 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce.
It all awaits you and it is SO MUCH YUMMMMMY!
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup honey
- ¾ cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- cilantro and lime for serving
- 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce for serving
- Cut the chicken into chunks. Place in a large ziplock plastic bag or bowl.
- Pour the soy sauce, honey, water, and garlic into a bowl. Whisk until incorporated. Set aside about ¾ cup of the sauce for brushing the chicken later.
- Pour the remaining sauce into the bag or bowl with the chicken. Seal or cover the mixture and refrigerate as long as you can - 4 hours is a good minimum but you can go as long as overnight.
- When you're ready to grill, preheat the grill on medium high for 5-10 minutes and oil the grates. Meanwhile, drain off the marinade and place the chicken pieces on skewers. Place the chicken on the hot grill, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Brush with reserved sauce and flip. Repeat this process until you see that the chicken is browned to your liking and fully cooked.
- Serve with cilantro, lime, Magic Green Sauce, or any other dipping sauces you like. We also like this with a salad and some naan or rice.