I’m asking myself if the current time of 6:12 am is too early to think about Honey Glazed Crockpot Chicken Adobo.
Nope. NO way.
I mean, it was not that long ago that I was literally WIDE AWAKE at 6am – miracle – not just writing about Honey Glazed Crockpot Chicken Adobo but actually making my whole house smell like this perfect combination of roasted garlic and peppery chicken and honey soy sauce glaze. I set my alarm early, in order to start the crockpot, in order to get our lunch ready for friends (does anyone else have this where they find themselves thinking about and preparing things for lunch at 6am?)
But in truly beautiful crockpot form, I went back to bed and awoke a few hours later only to be welcomed in the face by the honey soy garlic chicken smell. Cooked, on it’s own, just like that.
Okay, so no. True Filipino chicken adobo doesn’t have a glaze. That would definitely be the American glazey sauce lover in me coming through in this recipe.
Normal chicken adobo has more like a broth sauce. It’s runny and you just kind of sop it over your chicken and rice and it’s delicious. But honey? With the salty tang of the adobo sauce? Thickened up a bit in a glaze? As if I could resist. That just needed to happen for me.
The bonus about a sweet honey glaze is that it sticks all over the chicken, so you have this sauciness that not only helps your chicken stay nice and juicy and packed with flavor, but it also get in there with your rice and if I may get serious for a moment, this glaze and rice were meant for each other. The whole combo, the chicken, the glaze, and the rice: it’s a flavor-texture combo that’s basically impossible to stop eating.
PS. Squeeze a lime over the top, because you just should. Tangitty zippidy rah rah roo.
If you were to forego the glaze, I wouldn’t understand you at all. Honestly.
But I would be able to confirm that you’ll still get some awesome shredded chicken out of the deal, like so.
Okay! Enough for today.
Just as a parting thought, I recently read a really great post by blogger Jenna –> Eat Live Run about slowing down. Like sloooowwwwwwwing down. I’m looking at you, distracted multi-tasking self.
If you’re a food blogger, regular blogger, non-blogger, over-scheduled student, completely exhausted parent (I don’t know, but I know.). If you’re self employed and super driven, passionate about your work, prone to taking on too many extra commitments. If you’re just a person of an American mindset. All of us, let’s take a rest this week.
And I hear Honey Glazed Crockpot Chicken Adobo is a good place to start for a rest. Cause, you know, the crockpot.
- 3 lbs. or more boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup soy sauce (Silver Swan is the Filipino brand I use)
- ½ cup white cane vinegar
- 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- lime or calamansi for topping
- rice for serving
- Place the chicken, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and 2 tablespoons honey in a large plastic ziplock style bag (or divide between two bags). Store in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight to let the chicken marinate.
- Pour the ingredients in the bag directly into the crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken, shred with two forks, and set aside.
- Drain the sauce to remove bay leaves, peppercorns, and garlic. Transfer to a saucepan, stir in ¼ cup honey, and bring to a low simmer. Whisk the cornstarch with ¼ cup water and pour into the warm sauce. Simmer until thickened slightly into a glaze. Serve as an additional topping for the chicken.
- Top the chicken with a squeeze of lime juice if you want, fresh herbs if you want (I like cilantro even though that's not really Filipino) and serve the whole thing over steaming hot white rice.
Since I didn't even come close to using all the glaze, I adjusted the soy sauce to ½ cup for the information on the nutrition label.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products