What in the world? How in the world? Where in the world?
North India, to be exact. I don’t know much about it, but I think I like it. And if this Aloo Tikka (mashed potato cakes with herbs and spices) is served as street food as it’s rumored, then North India seems like the next best stop for me on our summer travels.
- North India.
- India Palace.
It looks like the suburban Indian restaurant will have to suffice. Might as well throw in an extra order of naan while we’re at it.
These cute little (or large) nuggets of fried goodness are bursting with flavor. Ginger, cilantro, garam masala and cumin give a spicy punch to the potato and pea “dough”. And while they took a little bit of prep time (peeling, boiling, and mashing the potatoes) the taste was well worth the effort.
Although I’d still prefer to buy them on the streets of India.
I adapted this recipe from one that I found on a great blog, My Saffron Kitchen. As I was “adapting”, I thought to myself: who are you to be making adjustments to an Indian recipe?
Annnd I never really came up with a good answer to that. So enjoy my Minnesotan twist on this Indian Street Food!
- 3 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- ¾ cup frozen peas (uncooked)
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbs. grated ginger
- 1 handful fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tbs. bread crumbs (I used panko)
- 4 tbs. flour
- Once the potatoes have been boiled and mashed, add in all the other ingredients.
- Form into patties (you should be able to get 8 large patties or 10 smaller ones).
- Heat a little oil over medium-high heat and fry a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain and cool on paper towels.
- Serve with any kind of sauce you like (I served it with a cottage/ricotta cheese mixture, but I imagine this would be delicious with some kind of chutney)!
If you ever go to India, maybe you could ship some Aloo Tikki back to Minnesota? Help a girl out.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products