For the last week, I’ve been hopping planes and carting around more than one painfully expensive suitcase with all my life packed up in it. And by all my life, I mean 23 T-shirts, 10 flip flops, and 2 pairs of shorts shorts because appropriate, well-fitting shorts are insanely hard to find. Which could have something to do with this. Maybe.
While I’m trying to figure my new Filipino life out, I’m going to be introducing you to My Top 5 Healthy Food Blogs. I’m super excited to share these peeps with you, because honestly, they (and their healthy blogs) are amazing.
Check out their sites, follow them on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram, and be happy about eating their fresh, healthy recipes! I will be sweating myself silly and eating fistfuls of leftover M&M’s in between battles with my suitcase that has affectionately been named “The Big Kahuna”. But you’ll be comfortable and healthy and that’ll be really good.
1. Eat Live Run
- What I like: Jenna for her down-to-earth blog personality and heart of faith, pretty food photos, and lots of yummy vegetarian and vegan recipes in between posts about meat and dessert. This girl knows healthy balance.
- Best recipes: Quinoa with Roasted Tomatoes, Walnuts, and Olives, Goat Cheese, Fig, and Bacon Flatbreads, Shrimp Enchiladas Verde
- What I like: Emily, even though she left me shaking in my Minnesota boots for sunshine and avocados in California, a section called “Build it Better” with ideas for healthifying your favorite foods, and specific tips for what to eat when training for a marathon. Which I’m not doing. But still.
- Best recipes: Date, Corn, and Goat Cheese Salad, Artichoke, Spinach, and White Bean Sandwich, Baba Ghanoush
- What I like: Erin (yes, Erin, not Ella) for being smart about veggies, tons of healthy vegetarian recipes that don’t feel vegetarian, and simply gorgeous photography that makes me want to live on a farm.
- Best recipes: Snap Peas and Soba Noodles with Honey Soy Dressing, Chipotle Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Guac Tacos, Pumpkin Oat Bread (pictured)
- What I like: Nicole for being a registered dietician – get it – RD?, an amazing recipe index that you could lose yourself in for hours, and a positive and balanced philosophy about food.
- Best recipes: Honey Lime Enchiladas, Coconut Shrimp Curry, Baked Potato Skin Veggie Pizzas
- What I like: Alex and Sonja for their love of the farmer’s market, the garden, and international humanitarian organizations, simple and healthy recipes that use real food, and stunning photography.
- Best recipes: Simple Vegetable Paella, Molten Lava Cake, Balsamic Strawberries with Greek Yogurt
I cannot end this post without giving you Alex and Sonja’s recipe for Balsamic Strawberries with Greek Yogurt because it’s pure healthy genius. It sounds weird, I know it sounds weird, but it’s to die for.
When they made it for us last summer, I privately panicked. I’m more of a sugar and butter and flour girl. But then something amazing happened: I legitimately felt like I was eating dessert.
But it’s yogurt and fruit. But it’s dessert.
- 2 cups strawberries (1 pint)
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 15 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- A few mint leaves
- Fresh ground pepper
- For the berries: Wash the strawberries and slice them. In a small bowl, mix the berries with 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar. Let sit (macerate!) for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Prior to serving, add a few grinds of fresh pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt and about 2 tablespoons honey, or more or less to taste.
- Chiffonade a bit of fresh mint.
- To serve, place a dollop of the yogurt in a bowl. Top with berries and mint.
Follow, tweet, like, and make all their yummy food because they’re awesome! All 5 of ‘em!
Meanwhile, I’ll be using my pocket dictionary to order 6 plates of mango peach pies from Jollibee (the Filipino equivalent to McDonald’s), cause that’s how they roll here. I’m think I’m going to get along just fine.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products