I came home from vacation craving oatmeal.
I’ve already been told by my husband that this is weird. Just let me explain myself.
The only time I ordered oatmeal on the trip was during a breakfast-on-the-go stop at Au Bon Pain. But first of all, eating in the car takes some of the joy away from the overall oats experience.
And secondly, I quickly realized that, while I love Au Bon Pain, their soupy oatmeal needed some major doctoring up with…. granola and almonds? Let’s just say the oatmeal topping bar was a bit sparse.
I think it was at this point on the trip that I declared myself an oatmeal snob.
And I’m not done yet.
To add fuel to the “I-crave-oatmeal” fire, there was a lot of this going on during our vacation. Which was amazing.
But it’s only amazing the first five times.
One more thing – did I mention that we were welcomed home to Minnesota by a lovely summer temperature of 60 degrees?
So now you can see why I came home craving a big bowl of warm, creamy, nutty oatmeal.
I’m not crazy. Right?
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup water
- pinch salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 banana (I used a frozen one)
- 1 tbs. flaxmeal
- 1 tsp. packed brown sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- ½ tbs. peanut butter
- Combine oats, water, and salt in a bowl. Beat the egg white, then whisk it in with the uncooked oats.
- Microwave for 2 minutes (or boil on stovetop). Check consistency and continue to heat as necessary until the oats are fluffy and thick.
- Thaw banana, mash, and add to oats. Heat another 30 seconds in microwave.
- Stir in flax, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Top with peanut butter!
Check out the protein and fiber! This is one of my favorite tools for generating nutrition information for your own recipes!
Another reason to crave healthy oatmeal: I’m about to head out for another weekend getaway with beach, friends, and more eating out! Yikes.
What’s your go-to healthy meal? I’m going to need it next week!
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products