Last summer, Bjork and I took a little road trip to visit our friend Joe in Indianapolis.
and being entertained by the feral cats that live under Joe’s deck…
we managed to get out to a few restaurants. One of the restaurants served the most delicious egg breakfast that I’ve ever tasted – it was a Southwestern Eggs Benedict with a spicy hollandaise.
Let me just preface by saying that I don’t typically like eggs in general. I have never really been a big fan of the taste/smell/texture. However, I was thrilled to find that when masked smothered with a spicy, southwestern sauce, I could really love eggs!
Although this breakfast stack has no spicy hollandaise sauce, it has everything (else) that I love about a spicy egg breakfast.
The southwestern flavored corn cake on the bottom has the perfect flavor and density to hold up the stack of ham, bacon, provolone cheese, and spicy fried egg.
And oh my gosh, who needs hollandaise when you leave the yolks soft? Even for a non-egg lover like myself, the sunny-side-up style fried egg made me swoon.
And what really makes it all come together is topping it off with a generous sprinkle of spicy cayenne and black pepper.
Maybe eggs aren’t so bad after all…?
- 1-1/4 cups stone ground yellow cornmeal (medium grind)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 tsp. taco seasoning, cayenne to taste (or whatever spices you like for southwestern-type flavor)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey (I just used sugar)
- 2 tablespoons butter (for the griddle)
- sliced ham, bacon, cheese, and eggs
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and spices in large bowl. Whisk together. In separate bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, and honey together. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed—don’t over mix.
- Heat griddle or skillet over med-high heat. Grease with melted butter. Drop ⅓ cup portions of batter onto griddle. Flatten with back of spatula to form pancake. Cook until browned on bottom, flip and brown other side.
- Fry bacon. Assemble stacks on top of corn cakes with ham, bacon, and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes until warm and bubbly.
- In the pan where you fried the bacon (if possible), add a tiny bit of butter and fry the eggs. When they are done, place them on top of the stacks and sprinkle with extra cayenne and black pepper!
Good news – we are going back to visit Joe this summer on this year’s Summer Roadtrip! And he doesn’t know it yet, but we will most definitely be going back to the cafe with the Southwestern Eggs Benedict.
What fun things are you doing this summer?