If you follow Pinch of Yum on Facebook, you might remember seeing the tasty french toast that was made for me on my birthday by my sweet husband!
French toast has been his specialty/favorite breakfast (that works out well no?) for… well… for as long as I’ve known him.
But this time he really outdid himself by adding sliced strawberries. And taking a picture with his fancy schmancy iPhone.
As if I wasn’t already susceptible to lingering thoughts of french toast after that lovely breakfast, this blog had to come along and plant the seed for a stuffed french toast grilled on the panini press.
That blog? Yeah, it’s called Panini Happy. And it makes me very, very happy. As does my beautiful, sleek, and classy panini press. I already feel a lifetime of paninis coming on.
This banana-strawberry-pb-chocolate stuffed french toast does not need any more bells and whistles to make it stand out. But I always like to take things to the next level, so to finish it off, I added just a tiny bit of maple syrup.
And then a tiny bit more, because I ran a half marathon 11 days ago.
Stuffed French Toast with strawberries, bananas, and maple syrup. Totally indulgent and perfect for a lazy Saturday brunch or a midnight snack.
- 4 slices sturdy whole grain bread (or any kind, really)
- 1/2 cup dessert hummus, or thick and creamy replacement such as ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs + 1 splash milk
- sliced bananas
- sliced strawberries
- extra peanut butter or maple syrup, for good measure
- Assemble french toast like a sandwich: bread, dessert hummus or PB, fruit, more fruit, and more dessert hummus or PB, finished with bread.
- Dip the entire monstrous sandwich into the egg mixture.
- Fry on a panini press (shoutout!) or griddle until golden on both sides.
- Top with maple syrup. I dare you.
Ah, the bliss of a good breakfast. And a tasty late-night snack. (It most definitely works for both. Not that I speak from experience or anything…)