You guys, I’m so glad you’re here today because this magic vegan caramel is legit silky, creamy, and luscious.
Wait, I know -> vegan. Which is interesting since I’m not a vegan (remember how the last recipe I posted was, um, a LOADED MEATBALL PIZZA?) and lots of you aren’t vegan either, but one of my favorite food terms is Everythingtarian. Right? s/o to Holly way back in the day for introducing me to that term with her funky blog. Since then, you and I and our POY food corner of the internet have totally identified ourselves with the Everythingtarian food culture, which to me means that you basically eat all the things. It’s a little bit meatball pizza, a little bit vegan caramel, and a little bit detox lentil soup. It’s Everythingtarian, Flexitarian, Food Eatertarian. It’s yummy. You down?
HOW TO MAKE OUR VEGAN CARAMEL (30 SEC):
Like 99% of recipes in my life, this magic vegan caramel was a happy accident that was inspired from making Angela’s Strawberry Oat Crumble Bars – the ones with the juicy, sticky jam? Yeah, those ones.
I was just following the recipe, doing what Angela instructed, and all of a sudden I looked down at the mixture I was whisking and I thought: hey, that looks like caramel. A really BOMB caramel. A really BOMB VEGAN caramel. I wonder if we could make a version of this that would just be straight vegan caramel sauce for eating?
We could and we most definitely did.
Uses of this sauce in my life have included:
- Drizzling on oatmeal
- Spreading on toast – don’t knock it till you try it
- Stirring into yogurt (not vegan! but #everythingtarian)
- Dipping with apples and other fruit
- Pouring over ice cream (could be coconut ice cream for the Vs)
- Mixing into no-bake batters – like energy bites
- Topping for breads, muffins, and cakes
- Stirring into coffee and tea
- Straight spoonful snacking during Netflix binges, for those of us with no boundaries
But we’re in the heart of October now, so highest on my agenda is generously bathing all my gorgeous fall Honeycrisp applies in this liquid gold and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. It’s too good for words.
This is fall magic! ✨ Make it and love it.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- sea salt, vanilla, or cinnamon to taste
- Melt the coconut oil and maple syrup together in a glass container for 1 minute. Whisk in the almond butter for about 30 seconds until fully incorporated and very smooth.