Instant Pot Pot Roast is basically three moods in one: rustic, delicious, and cozy to the max.
It is also lots of other good things, like: chunks of tender beef, onions, whole potatoes, garlic and herbs, red wine, mushrooms, carrots, and a perfectly luscious gravy that is glossy and thick but not awkwardly thick? If serving this in a bowl poured with a mini gravy waterfall, coarse salt and pepper, and a chunk of hot, crusty, buttered bread is wrong, you know I don’t even want to be right.
This recipe is the essence of winter comfort food, and the Instant Pot is really a good friend to have around in these moments.
I don’t eat beef all that often, but that’s actually why I love this recipe. Because anytime I’m eating beef I want to try to make it special: a responsible, quality piece of meat that’s cooked really well into something satisfying, filling, and perfect for the season. Which, at the moment, is a pot roast served with bread and wine and maybe a salad, but why, honestly? And yes, for sure you need candles on the table. Are you getting the vibe here?
It is a savory, comforting, back-to-basics recipe that is something really special for friends coming over for dinner, as a meal delivered to someone who is hurting, or for a drab Tuesday night that just needs a little something extra. ♡
Herbs and garlic, chunks of falling-apart, seared and slow-cooked beef, and a ton of winter veggies under a blanket of gravy. Let me think for two seconds: YES.
Check Out Our Video For How To Make Instant Pot Pot Roast:Print
Instant Pot Pot Roast! Rustic, delicious, and cozy to the max. Tender beef, onions, potatoes, garlic and herbs, mushrooms, and a perfectly luscious gravy.
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound red potatoes, whole
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2–3 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2–3 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch whisked with 1/2 cup cold water
- Trim excess fat off the beef. Cut into 3-4 large chunks. Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function and add oil. When the oil is hot, add beef and sear in oil until a crispy brown exterior forms.
- Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, whole potatoes, tomato paste, red wine, broth, fresh herbs, salt, and Worcestershire sauce to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, release pressure and add carrots and celery. Bring back up to pressure and continue cooking for 10 minutes (this prevents overcooking the carrots and celery). Once roast finishes, allow for 15 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Remove beef and veggies from Instant Pot and put on a serving platter. Add your cornstarch slurry to the liquid left in the Instant Pot. Switch to the sauté function. Let it bubble a bit until it thickens to be a gravy – this should take 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon gravy over roast. Serve with salt, pepper, and hot crusty bread. YUUUUM.
Red Wine Substitution: You can leave out the red wine and use beef broth instead.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot dinner, instant pot pot roast, pot roast recipe, easy pot roast
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of yummy beef recipes. Check it out!