Beer cheese soup was made for soft pretzels. I know it, you know it, and these twisty knots of soft fluffy bread with the chunky salt know it.
And that is my job today: to give you the pretzels you need to complete the beer cheese soup set. Soft, excessively fluffy, basic delicious pretzels. You know I take this job very seriously.
Here’s a Soft Pretzel Perks Recap. They are:
- Simple and straightforward.
- Domestic goals.
- Make-able with just a bowl and a wooden spoon.
- Seriously. Just use a wooden spoon.
- Soft, fluffy, pillowy.
- Adaptable to your favorite shapes, flavors, etc.
- Highly dip-able.
How To Make Our Basic Soft Pretzels (1 MIN):
Here’s a quick rundown of the process.
First: Mix up the dough.
Now knead it up – 10-15 times is good – and put back in the bowl.
Now cover with plastic and let the yeast do its thang.
Roll, shape, and dip in a baking soda solution (that’s what pretzelifies it).
Bake. Dip. Eat. What a happy ending.
I did not bother to do a center pretzel twist, mostly because I was just in such a hurry to get some bread in my oven so that I could make this moment happen:
Because let’s be honest. That’s really why we’re making these soft, fluffy, steaming hot pretzels. To rip, cheese-dip, and devour.Print
Basic Soft Pretzels! Necessary dippers for your beer cheese soup ♡
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 package instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- more flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup baking soda whisked into 3–4 cups warm water
- 1 egg
- coarse salt
- Make the Dough: In a mixing bowl, gently whisk the warm milk, yeast, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Stir in the flour until a dough forms. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead 10-15 times.
- Let the Dough Hang Out: Return to the bowl and drizzle with a little oil to prevent sticking. Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and set aside for an hour to rise.
- Pretzel-ify: When the dough has risen, punch it back down and divide it into 6-8 sections. Roll each section into a loooong skinny rope. Fold it into a pretzel. Dip into the baking soda solution and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. YUUUUUM! Dip in cheese sauce, mustard, or my personal favorite – beer cheese soup.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pretzels, soft pretzels, pretzel recipe
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of easy baking recipes. Check it out!