Truth: I drink green smoothies.
Truth: Bjork gets bugged out by green smoothies. I pretend that he’s immature and usually give a mini-lecture about the health benefits of green smoothies, which usually ends with him eating a whole box of Marshmallow Mateys in one sitting. 1) Why can’t healthy green smoothies be rainbow colored, or sparkly, or covered with candy? 2) Pass me the Mateys.
BEST Truth: Green smoothies don’t have to be sewage-green!
Wait, that makes me sound like an idiot, but it’s actually genius. Because when you put berries in the blender with your green smoothie, it turns blue and purple and pretty, and it covers up the greenness. It’s a berry green smoothie.
That’s why the runner up for the best thing ever award is drinking something desserty and cute to take away that super cute morning-after-salty-foods look.
Something that does not look like garbage in a glass.
A berry green smoothie with the health benefits of a regular green smoothie, but thanks to the blueberries, it’s still purple! Perfect for first-timers.
- 3 small bananas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1–2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup frozen berries (blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- 1/2 cup bran cereal such as All Bran original
- 1–2 tablespoons sweetener (sugar, honey, Truvia, agave, etc.)
- ice cubes (optional)
- Blend bananas and milk until smooth. Add spinach and blend on a high setting until most of the spinach has been broken down into small pieces. Add the frozen berries and blend until the smoothie mixture is all one color.
- Add the bran and sweetener; blend until desired consistency. Add ice cubes and blend again until smooth (optional – I usually don’t).
I like to blend it well for several minutes so it’s mostly smooth, but there is still some crunch and texture from the bran.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: berry smoothie, berry green smoothie, healthy smoothie
Don’t fear the green!