Just, just, just…
Breathe. And eat baked mini donuts.
Breathe mini donuts? Yes.
That’s what the voice inside my head is saying these days. That was when there were still mini donuts left. That was like a year ago. It was fun while it lasted.
Dessert has always been high on my list of loves, and dessert for breakfast is even higher. So this weekend, when I heard a girl in the restaurant bathroom tell her friends that she hadn’t had dessert in forever, and then went on to specify that actually she hadn’t had dessert in two years, TWO YEARS, I vomited a little bit in my mouth. Then I punched her in the face. Air-punched her. From the stall where she couldn’t see me.
Girl, don’t lie. You probably ate 87 of these for breakfast and that’s why I don’t have any left.
Dessert, breakfast. Breakfast, dessert.
Mini Donut. Get. One. Now.Print
These chocolate glazed baked mini donuts are easy to make and so cute and yummy! Yellow cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce (I subbed Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients, using 1/4 cup brown sugar and setting the rest aside.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon milk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, applesauce, and egg. Stir into dry mixture.
- Pour batter into a gallon-sized plastic bag and cut the corner off. Pipe the batter into a greased mini-donut pan, filling each donut space about 1/2 full (for me, this was about 24 mini donuts). Bake for about 7 minutes. Remove from oven and take each donut out of the pan.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter with 1/4 cup brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Bring to a boil and boil for about 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon milk and bring back to a boil. Add powdered sugar, using the last tablespoon of milk to help thin out the frosting if needed. Keep over low heat (otherwise it will start to crystallize) and dunk each mini donut into the frosting. Frosting should set almost immediately, so sprinkle each donut right away.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
If you are the girl from the restaurant…
I’d like to extend a peace offering in the form of a cakey pillow of chocolate-frosted sprinklings.