Hey you! I made you something.
How do you like my rickety old baking pan? My warped, blackened, scratched, baking pan that has been beaten to shreds by that mean ol’ Filipino oven?
You guys. I generally treat my kitchen gear with care. But one round of untimed oven-roasted squash was all it took to blacken this girl’s entire surface, throw her in the trash, and then dig her back out of the trash when I remembered that she is my only baking pan here.
Could I drive to the store and buy a new one? Well…
Don’t ask me stuff like that.
And now here we are today, just me and the world’s most beat-up piece of kitchen metal, makin’ cake mix cookies together in the world’s hottest kitchen, six jumbo cookies at a time. With you. And I wouldn’t have it any other way, except I would take an air conditioner in the kitchen and I wouldn’t mind a larger baking pan. But other than that.
I made these on a whim on yet another random hot night and fell in completely love. Fudgy like a brownie, soft like a cookie, and extra large. Loaded with white chocolate chips and completely saturated with rich chocolate flavor. Oh. My.
I adore them.
And suddenly it’s the next night and there I am, just me and my beat-up pan, making the exact same cookies all over again, with extra white chocolate chips, recipe doubled because these are just begging to be eaten by and with friends.
Are cookies not the world’s best sharing food?
They just are.
Then there’s the whole cake mix thing. How and why people make cookies with a cake mix is a mystery to me, but I just did it and I’m now forever a believer. Of course, not for ALL cookies. Some things are non-negotiable.
But for these deep dark chewy soft chocolate heaven cookies, yes. I’ll do it and I’ll be happy about it. And you’ll be really happy about it too, when they come out of your oven in about 5 minutes.
Happiness = jumbo fudgy double chocolate cookies.
And I am happy.
These double chocolate cake mix cookies are super easy to make and make for chewy, chocolatey cookies. Delicious and so simple!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 packet instant coffee dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the butter until smooth. Add the egg and beat again until incorporated. Add the coffee, oil, and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the cake mix in batches and beat slowly after each addition until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and white chocolate chips. Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet a few inches apart. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the tops are just set (not wet-looking anymore), the cookies are evenly flattened, and they are starting to get cracks in them. If the cookies are done, they should come off the pan relatively easily with a spatula. If the cookies are not holding together, you probably need to bake them a little longer. Remove from the baking sheet and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
My Filipino oven does not allow me the luxury of exact temperatures (!!), so once again I am giving it my best guess in terms of time and temperature. The timing on this one is kind of important to get that soft, chewy texture, so make sure to look for the signs of doneness (flattened out, slightly cracked tops, cookie holding together, etc.) to get it right for your oven. ☺
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: double chocolate cookies, cookie recipe, chocolate cookies, cake mix cookies