Sheet Pan Garlic Ginger Chicken and Broccoli!
Uhh, yeah. This is a back pocket recipe. It’s healthy, it’s colorful, and it’s mindlessly easy. It’s MEAL PREP day!
Obviously I’m kind of having a moment with meal prep, and no, this Sheet Pan Garlic Ginger Chicken recipe doesn’t have to be meal prep – it can just be a wonderful sheet pan recipe. But it works really well as meal prep, and we’re all up in the Sugar Free January business and trying to stay on top of this intentional weekly healthy eating stuff, and I have those cute containers… so either way. Meal prep or regular sheet pan dinner. You do you, okay?
Here’s what I love about this recipe:
- It is easy. Hands-off. One and done.
- It is adaptable. Chicken thighs, chicken breasts, tofu, broccoli, kale, peppers, green beans… whatevs u like.
- It has that umami + sweet flavor profile that we know and love… only WITHOUT REFINED SUGAR. There are the usual suspects of soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, but then there’s a trick to sweeten things up and it involves dates. And by trick I mean that you just put them in the blender with the sauce. And if you don’t like dates, use honey. Or sugar. Remember? Adaptable.
Here’s what we’re working with BEFORE baking:
And after baking:
And after sectioning it into meal prep containers, dressing it up all fancy, and storing in the fridge and feeling like a boss of life:
Add rice, or don’t add rice, or put this on some stir-fried brown noodles, or tuck into lettuce wraps, or just eat plain for yummy, simple lunches like I did. There’s so much you can do here. I expect a full report back on your creative meals! Take this and run.
PS. Are any of you doing Sugar Free January with us? How’s it going? Give me the good, the bad, the ugly, and the REALLY TASTY.
PSS. Here’s the link for those meal prep containers! Love, love, love.
Sheet Pan Garlic Ginger Chicken and Broccoli – a simple and low-maintenance meal prep option, with huge flavor and no refined sugar. ♡
For the Garlic Ginger Sauce:
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil (olive oil is fine)
- a 2-inch knob of fresh ginger (peeled)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 medjool dates (you can also use 1/4 cup honey or sugar)
For the Chicken and Broccoli:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into strips
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 5 cups)
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- sesame oil, sesame seeds, and/or green onions for topping
- Prep Sauce: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Blend all sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Sheet Pan Action: Place chicken, broccoli, and red pepper on a sheet pan. Pour about 1/2 cup sauce over top of the chicken and just a few tablespoons over the veggies. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Finish It Fancy: While the broccoli and chicken are roasting, simmer another 1/2 cup or so of sauce in a small saucepan over medium low heat until it’s thickened. Drizzle it over the finished chicken and broccoli. Finish with sesame oil, sesame seeds, or scallions. Voila! Happy bowls and meal prep lunches.
Sauce: You probably won’t use all the sauce (I usually have almost a cup leftover), but I always prefer to have extra sauce rather than not enough. Save your leftover sauce because you can just make a quick and easy batch of this again next time!
Storage: Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Vegetarian: Sub tofu for a vegetarian option! Also works well as a stir-fry because the tofu will get nice and caramelized.
Broccoli Texture: Some of the sauce on the chicken may make its way over to the broccoli side during cooking. This makes the broccoli a little less crispy. To me, that wasn’t a big deal because the sauce gives the broccoli a lot of flavor. But if you want the broccoli to stay dry and crispy, just put it on a separate baking sheet.
Rice or No Rice: You can serve this over rice which is yummy. But to be honest, when I made this on its own as meal prep, I didn’t even miss the rice! So you can definitely get away without it.