One of my strengths is holding on to unnecessary items.
Unnecessary items of the old jacket, soap holder, throw pillow, Christmas figurine variety.
So it goes without saying that the upcoming garage sale – OUR upcoming garage sale, the one where we get rid of a bunch of our stuff – is giving me hives. And listening to my Brad Paisley Pandora station while pricing my old, unnecessary (but totally necessary) picture frames does not help the cause.
It’s funny how that works out – or doesn’t work out – because I live with a man who is a frequent flyer at the Goodwill. Getting rid of anything that hasn’t been used in a month, even if it was MINE and I was going to use it next month, is one of his strengths. Seriously, though, I was going to use that soap holder.
Like that one time when I was going to make bread in my bread maker but found it to be “missing”. Never mind the fact that I was retrieving it out of the closet, where it lived for most, ok, ALL, of its life. Or that it had a setting to program the time so I could make bread in the middle of the night, which made it the coolest bread maker in the world. Or that I wanted to keep it forever.
It’s probably in somebody else’s kitchen baking cinnamon swirl bread and making their life perfect. I think I hear a Brad Paisley song…
I’m consoling myself over the loss of my sentimental treasures by making these Healthy Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. Because I want my kitchen to sing Brad Paisley songs, even if I don’t have a bread maker anymore. And the healthy part? Let’s just say I’ve been experimenting with cookie dough stuffed cupcakes and I could use a little health in my life, especially when it comes in the form of gooey, sweet, cinnamony pancakes.
As much as I wanted to bake the cinnamon filling right into them, it just wasn’t happening. I fried, I griddled, I baked, I parchment papered… it just wasn’t meant to be. So I topped the pancakes with the filling instead. And oh my yummers, they were so tasty! The end result: wheat bran pancakes topped with the spicy cinnamon filling and drizzled with sweet glaze. And no guilt! Hallelujah.
These healthy cinnamon roll pancakes are made with whole grain pancakes, a pumpkin-walnut cinnamon filling and a Greek yogurt frosting.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup bran cereal (I used All Bran original, measured then crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1% milk with a little vinegar)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (can use canned, not pie filling)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground walnuts or bran
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- additional walnuts for topping
- Mix the first 7 ingredients (flour through egg whites) until well-combined. Pour 1/4 cup batter on a medium-heat griddle and cook until bubbly; flip and cook again until light golden brown and cooked through.
- Stir together pumpkin, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add ground walnuts or bran if the filling needs to be thicker. Place a in baggie, snip the corner, and spiral filling on the tops of the pancakes.
- Whisk Greek yogurt and honey until smooth. Place in a baggie, snip the corner, and drizzle over pancakes in a zigzag pattern. Top with additional walnuts.
One serving is 2 large pancakes.
PS. I do need a little help – what’s the going garage sale rate for a pair of peep toe heels?