Guess what? Today is a good day to make your own homemade cream of chicken soup.
And just to clarify, by cream of chicken soup, I do mean the goopy gloppy condensed stuff that usually comes in a can and is magically useful in all sorts of down-home comforting casseroles, soups, and hot dishes.
How to Make Our Cream of Chicken Soup (45 SEC):
First things first. I have no problem occasionally using the canned condensed soup nor do I pass any judgment on others who use it. I promise you that this is not my soapbox food issue or anything. It’s more like if I had to choose, I would choose to have it homemade because everything is better homemade, right? Except Fruity Pebbles. Those would be too hard to make.
But there’s something nice about feeling like you’re using milk and flour and chicken broth in a recipe instead of an unnaturally jiggly mystery substance, yeah? And you read that correctly: milk and flour and chicken broth is just about all you need to make this yourself. It’s so easy. SO easy.Print
This is a super easy recipe for making your own homemade cream of chicken soup. Just four ingredients and sooo delicious!
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used 2 cans)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning mix (or on your own, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. parsley, etc)
- Combine the chicken broth and 1/2 cup of the milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a low boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour and seasonings into the remaining 1 cup milk until a smooth, thick mixture forms.
- Pour the flour and milk mixture into the saucepan with the broth mixture over low heat and stir continuously, whisking as the mixture simmers. Continue to simmer and stir/whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick, 5-10 minutes. The mixture will thicken a bit as it cools.
The seasoning possibilities are really open-ended. I change the spices I use every time I make this depending on what I’m going to use the soup for.
The texture can get lumpy really quickly so I suggest keeping the heat as low as possible and whisking continuously for a more smooth consistency.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade cream of chicken soup, cream of chicken soup, condensed cream of chicken
So here’s the really exciting thing → I made this because I needed it for a down-home comforting Minnesota winter night casserole with chicken and brown rice that you’re going to be seeing later this week. Did I mention the word comforting?
Make this and keep it at the ready. Casserole coming right up.
PS. What’s your take on freezing this?