This is my perfect food.
But I have to admit, things didn’t start out so well.
In fact, there were a few tears and a lot of vaccuuming after attempt number one:
Good bye, new Pyrex baking dish.
My self confidence plummeted after these horrendous results.
But luckily I have strong determination when it comes to making food with peanut butter, chocolate, and candy.
And so I tried again. This time, I used more safe kitchen practices, such as turning off the burner before setting pans on top of it.
And the end result was glorious: salted toffee. Check out those sweet layers! Toffee, saltine, peanut butter, chocolate, and candy. Delicious.
This salted toffee is the perfect treat for peanut butter chocolate lovers. Made with 5 ingredients, it’s super easy and so addicting!
- One sleeve saltines (salted, obvs)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- several spoonfuls of peanut butter
- Chopped candy – pretzel M&M’s, KitKats, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Place saltines in a pan (I used a nonstick cake pan) and leave just a little bit of room between each cracker.
- Bring sugar and butter to a boil. Once the whole thing starts boiling, boil without stirring for 3 minutes. Pour boiling mixture over crackers. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Put small spoonfuls of peanut butter on top of the crackers and toffee. Return to the oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven and spread the melted peanut butter.
- Top with chocolate chips and return to the oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate chips until smooth. Top with chopped candy.
- Freeze for 1 hour (minimum). Break toffee into small pieces and enjoy!
The one and only problem with this toffee is that, without fail, I always end up with chocolate all over my face.
Has anyone else ever shattered a glass pan? This was officially my most significant kitchen mishap. And I hope I never outdo myself…