Toasted pecans, fresh spinach, cool cilantro, brown sugar, curry, cinnamon, and white bean hummus. What in the world are you supposed to call all that amazingness?
Spicy-Sweet Quinoa Squash Bowl, according to my Overdosed Sugar brain.
Rational brain tells me to eat this for the next year to make up for the 4 sticks of butter that I was involved with this weekend.
And I have no problem with that because this. is. yummy.
So yummy that I’m already dreaming of my lunch, when I will eat the leftovers with a jumbo spoonful of white bean hummus. Oh, that white bean hummus. It’s like a dreamy creamy creamed cream sauce, without the cream and without the guilt (angels singing).
Rational brain also tells me that more more more of this spicy-sweet squash bowl is good for me.
Wishful brain tells me that I don’t have to work out today.
And Sugar Overdosed brain says I shouldn’t be writing a post after 28 Christmas cookies.
- 1 cup quinoa (+ vegetable stock, optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (for mild spice)
- 2 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ¼ cup toasted pecan pieces
- Cook quinoa according to directions, using vegetable stock for half of the water (optional) and adding 2 teaspoons curry and brown sugar to the pot before cooking.
- Coat squash with olive oil, white sugar, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon curry, and salt to taste. Roast in a 400 degree oven or in skillet until golden brown and fork-tender.
- Add squash, cilantro and spinach to the cooked quinoa and toss gently to combine. Top each bowl with pecans and white bean hummus.
Holy yummy. Holy healthy. Happy Holidays.
PS. I’d love for you to share your good ideas – what do you eat to stay healthy this time of year?