This post is sponsored by King’s Hawaiian. Because yummy sweet bread makes Super Easy Coconut Baked French Toast a thing-o-beauty. Check out their first ever commercial here to see people go pupule (crayyyzee!) for this bread.
Hello springy brunch goodness!
Let me rephrase that – hello springy brunch goodness that comes together with five simple ingredients! Whoa yes. I’m serious. Pretty and fluffy and lightly sweet, topped with crunchy sugar because GLITTERY.
This one screams I love you, food and I love you, Mom. And how appropriately timed because Mother’s Day! It’s soon!
Mother’s Day is one of those holidays where I look forward to going to a homey place and eating a great meal because my mom is awesome, but then I remember that me and Dad and sibs are supposed to be the ones making the great meal. Yups. And it’s Saturday night and I are T-9 hours until brunch.
Why does this always happen to me? As a youngin, I always thought I was that thing called organized. But as and adult I can see that my real thing is actually called scrambling for event preparation.
But see, this is why I love simple recipes for entertaining. Even if you’re more of a thoughtful, well-prepared, non-scrambler (teach me your ways, oh genius one) we could all use a little more time on whatever-Day morning to do a little more of a lot of things.
For example, snuggly family lovey time. This is what people with babies and dogs do, right? #perfectlife
Also a good choice – reading one more chapter in your book. Maybe a nice little morning jog around the lake. Or, I mean, a walk would probably be okay too, since it’s a holiday and everything. And/or relaxing for fifteen extra minutes on the patio in the sleet. Wait though sleet. Why is it sleeting in May? I’m ALMOST missing the Philippines heat wave oppression almost. Al-most.
Okay, a little food talk now.
This is how it all goes together. Lightly sweet and very delicious King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls are torn into bite-sized pieces –> coconut milk and vanilla and eggs are whisked together into a creamy yummy base –> the whole thing is poured together in a dish, baked, and topped with fruit for color and turbinado sugar for sparkle. One two three pretty brunch dish on your table like magic!
And now you can mentally file this photo slice under Simple Pretty Brunch and Hungry 3pm Afternoon Snack, because that’s how it went down at my house this weekend!
If you all have some creative ideas for telling your moms that you love them on Mother’s Day, I would not complain if you shared them. Gifts, food, fun things to do together… tell me all of it. And maybe you can help me leave my scrambling ways behind. Doubtful, but maybe.
- 1 package King's Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet 12 Pack Dinner Rolls
- 1 can regular coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 7 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- turbinado sugar
- sliced bananas
- sliced strawberries
- flaked coconut
- maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces. Arrange evenly in a greased 9x13 baking dish,
- Whisk the coconut milk, milk, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Pour the milk mixture over the bread, covering all pieces. Bake for 40-45 minutes, keeping an eye on the top and covering with foil if it starts to burn. When finished, the french toast bake will be puffy and firm (shouldn't jiggle when you shake it back and forth).
- Optional: After everything is fully baked, top with turbinado sugar and banana slices and return to the oven uncovered for a few minutes until golden brown. Remove and let stand for 15 minutes. Top with strawberry slices for a big color pop! Pritty.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products