Black bean risotto is the food of choice this week.
Yes, I said week. It’s a little random, I know, but the inspiration for “Risotto Week” came when I started totaling my Black Friday bills. Not to mention, we are in the process of refurnishing parts of our home, and we’ve been eating out more lately… ‘tis the season for spending!
Or, maybe not! As I brainstormed ways to cut back on our grocery bill this week, an image of the my 36 ounce container of risotto popped into my head.
The one that was “worth the money” because I would supposedly make risotto all the time. The one that is still sitting on a shelf, waiting to be used.
Please tell me I’m not the only one?
Anyway, my brilliant plan is to save money on meals this week by just making many varieties of risotto. And my first attempt – although somewhat spontaneous – turned out as creamy and delicious as ever.
This cheesy black bean risotto recipe adds a Mexican twist to the typical creamy risotto. This simple recipe can also be made vegetarian.
- risotto (1 cup Arborio rice)
- chicken broth (3 cups)
- diced tomatoes
- black beans
- 3/4 cup shredded “Mexican” cheese
- taco seasoning packet
- fresh cilantro
- diced cooked chicken (optional)
- Saute some garlic or onion in a pan with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add risotto and seasoning and stir for about 2 minutes (high heat).
- Add chicken broth 1 cup at a time and stir until liquid is absorbed.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken. Heat through.
- Just before serving, stir in cheese until it melts. Top with cilantro!
YUM! This was so tasty. I wasn’t feeling like chicken, so I enjoyed mine with just the cheese, black beans, and tomatoes. It was so delicious and comforting – even as a vegetarian meal!
How do you save money this time of year? Or anytime of year? Gulp. Good thing I married a saver.
Coming soon – Risotto Part II. Involving Brie cheese.