Is it just me or have peppermint mochas taken over December life?
There is just no fighting it – it’s early morning, it’s cold outside, the wool mittens have made their annual appearance, Christmas music is pumping. Like, AS IF there is any restraint when it comes to a Peppermint Mocha pit stop. As if.
The baristas always get a little annoyed with me because I’m one of those people who has a super particular order that takes at least 15 sentences to communicate (full fat, no whip, and half the amount of syrup and chocolate) (if you’re a barista, I’m so sorry for my ways), but nevertheless, the December morning peppermint mocha is always, always, always worth it.
That first creamy, minty, rich dark chocolate sip? YASSSS.
I’ve developed something of a habit, which is great, but it also means that I now cannot start my day without a peppermint mocha. (Or Cashew Coffee. Or an Oatmilk Honey Latte. Just really any hot cozy drink.) I mean, like, even if it’s totally ridiculous and out of my way to find one, it must be done. This is my dilemma.
But friends! Good news of great joy!
In these days where we AREN’T driving to work or we want to stay home in our PJs instead of venturing out for the must-have coffee shop drink of the season, there is now a cozy 10-minute homemade alternative that can be prepped to our very own liking with no looks from the baristas.
Christmas Miracle? I think so.
What You Need To Make This Coziness Happen
What we are dealing with here are deliciously decadent peppermint mochas made at home with about five simple ingredients in ten minutes or less. Featuring:
- Unsweetened Chocolate
- Homemade Mint Simple Syrup which will blow your mind with its ease of prep
- Rich coffee or espresso
- Whipped Cream + Candy Cane toppings bcz we’re divas
Simmer, shake, pour, top. That’s it.
This peppermint mocha should probably come with a warning: BEWARE. HABIT FORMING. NO TURNING BACK. But you knew that already, right? Ain’t nobody got time for warnings when there’s a peppermint mocha to be had.
Cozy up, grab a blanket and a book, and get your December on. Oooooh, it just gives me the happy chills!
Watch How To Make This Peppermint Mocha
Common Questions About Homemade Peppermint Mochas
It can be stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for 1 month.
Sure! The mocha will just taste a bit sweeter.
We’d suggest using a dairy-free milk alternative, like coconut milk or almond milk. We’d also suggest dairy-free chocolate chips and coconut milk whipped cream.
Cozy Homemade Peppermint Mocha! Creamy, minty, rich dark chocolate… SO yummy. Cozy up, grab a blanket and a book, and get your holidays on.
For the Mint Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves OR 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (or a combination of both)
For the Mocha
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate bar or baking bar (not cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- whipped cream
- crushed candy canes
- Bring the water to a low boil. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the mint or peppermint extract and steep for 10-15 minutes (heat off or on low) until the syrup has good flavor to it. Remove the mint leaves and store in the refrigerator for future peppermint mochas. 🙂
- Heat the milk and unsweetened chocolate together until melted (could be in the microwave or on the stovetop).
- Add the milk mixture to a glass jar. Put a cap on the jar and wrap with a towel (the metal lid will get hot). Shake until foamy.
- Pour the milk mixture into a mug. Stir in the coffee and 2-3 tablespoons of mint syrup. Top with whipped cream and candy cane pieces.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Brew
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade peppermint mocha, peppermint mocha, peppermint hot chocolate, cozy drinks
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of favorite drink recipes. Check it out!