This recipe is sponsored by DeLallo
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches are here just in time for the chaos of back-to-school and they are ready to love you.
There is so much to love about food that takes 7 minutes to prepare and involves tender shredded beef with a lot of garlic and onion, crusty buttered bread, melted Provolone, salty and tangy giardiniera, and a superluscious and flavorful broth to dunk it all in.
Just… you’re going to make a huge mess eating this thing, and you’re going to love every crispy, cheesy, drippy, totally delicious bite. I mean, maybe not a good look for a first date or a business dinner, okay? This is the time to put your comfy pants on and grab a few napkins and just get in touch with your inner hungry person.
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches, Coming Right Up:
Everything goes in the Instant Pot, and… that’s pretty much it. You really don’t need me at all for this.
It’s frozen? Just add a little extra time. You do / don’t want to saute your onions and garlic first? Go for it. You’re missing a spice? Just wing it!
Low maintenance and flexibility is the name of the game here.
After about an hour of pressure cooking, look at what you are treated to:
Things to Know About Giardiniera
Okay, beef is done, onto the toppings.
Here’s the deal. Giardiniera is basically a mix of pickled veggies that’s used as an appetizer, or in salads, or as a topping, depending on what’s in it and where you’re from. It’s an Italian / Chicago-an thing, from what I can understand?
But here’s the other deal: I am not Italian and I am not from Chicago and I still really, really love giardiniera.
I like DeLallo giardiniera because I like DeLallo everything, but also, I really appreciate that the DeLallo giardiniera is not packed in oil. So you still get the pucker that cuts through all the rich stuff, without adding extra heaviness, and bonus that you can use a little bit of the brine to tangify the beef.
It’s good stuff.
Once your beef is done, you guys, the rest is history.
Broil some hearty (I mean like SUPER hearty) crunchy bread with slices of Provolone cheese, add your beef and giardiniera, and send it swimming in that brothy goodness.
That first crunchy, hot, drippy bite? It is a MOMENT.
Watch how our video for how to make Instant Pot Italian Beef:Print
Instant Pot Italian Beef! Just a few minutes to prep and totally hands-off to make. Tender shredded beef, crusty buttered bread, melted provolone, salty tangy giardiniera, and some broth to dunk it all in. YES.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- half an onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup brine from the giardiniera (optional)
- 6 (6-inch) crusty hoagie or sandwich rolls
- DeLallo Giardiniera – hot or mild, either works
- Sliced provolone
- Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for about 60 minutes. Natural pressure release for 10-20 minutes.
- Shred the beef (it should fall apart very easily when pulled with a fork). Save the broth / juices in the Instant Pot.
- Layer each side of your bun with a slice of Provolone and place under the broiler until melty. Top with the beef and giardiniera.
- Serve the hot sandwiches with a little dipping bowl of the broth so you can dunk your sandwich in and experience true soppy, cheesy, crusty, tangy Italian beef sandwich bliss.
Cook time will be dependent on how big your chunks were – small cubes will be good to go in 45 minutes but bigger chunks will need 60 minutes.
Crockpot Instructions: Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
I like to have smaller pieces of giardiniera on my sandwich so I usually run a big knife through all the pieces to get a more chopped texture.
Freezer Meal Version
- Freeze Together:
3 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed + cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
half an onion, diced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Instant Pot Instructions: Add 2 ½ cups broth and ¼ cup giardiniera brine before cooking. High pressure 75 mins + 15 mins natural release.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: Add 2 ½ cups broth and ¼ cup giardiniera brine before cooking. High setting 6 hours (thaw first).
- Final Step: Serve on toasted rolls with melted cheese and giardiniera!
- Check out our full freezer meal posts with all recipes and instructions here!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Instant Pot, Italian food, weeknight dinner, easy dinner, beef, sandwiches
Thank you to DeLallo for sponsoring this recipe!
One more thing!
This recipe is part of our easy Italian-inspired recipes page. Check it out!