Homemade Garlic Alfredo Sauce.
Would you mind if I just stopped there? Sighh.
Fire roasted tomatoes.
Whole grain penne.
Parmesan? Extra? Sure.
And don’t you forget about that homemade garlic alfredo sauce. I know you didn’t.
Bake it, eat it, eat it again.
Make a mental note to double the recipe next time.
Make another mental note to stop at the store for some minty gum. Or tell Siri to make your mental notes for you. Or tell Siri to make a mental note for Bjork.
Train Siri to recognize “Bjork” instead of “New Yhork”.
Give up on Siri and eat more baked penne.Print
This light garlic shrimp baked penne has a delicious and lighter homemade Alfredo sauce, penne pasta, tomatoes, garlic, and shrimp. Easy and healthy!
- 1 lb. raw, deveined tail-off shrimp
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 ounces 2% evaporated milk (about half of a can)
- 1 ounce light cream cheese
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese for topping
- In a skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter and add 1 clove minced garlic. Saute for 1 minute or until garlic is soft and fragrant. Add shrimp and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until no longer pink.
- Cook pasta as directed until al dente. Drain and return to pan. Drain tomatoes and add to the pasta. Add cooked shrimp.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and add 3 cloves minced garlic over medium-high heat. Saute for 1 minute. Add flour and stir until a soft, sticky mixture forms – about 1 minute. Add half of the evaporated milk and whisk until smooth. As it cooks, the mixture will start to thicken and bubble – when it does, add the rest of the evaporated milk. As the mixture thickens and bubbles again, add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. As the mixture thickens, add the chicken stock to thin out the sauce. Season with salt to taste.
- Pour sauce immediately over pasta and mix gently. Pour into a small baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese; bake at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
The sauce will start to really thicken within a few minutes of taking it off the heat. Make sure to mix it in with the pasta right away. When I made this, I used a 10×6 baking dish. You could also top this with seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: baked penne, shrimp recipe, shrimp pasta
I think this big blue sky is the sign of a good week.
That, and Alfredo.