Plant based magic coming hot to the table in three. two. one.
Guys, this is a delicious heaping pile of noodles and it wants to be your dinner. It’s creamy kale pasta and it has come to rescue you and your hungry self.
Here’s what we have happening ->
KALE. ♡ Chopped up super thinly (think slaw-like) and sautéed in garlic and olive oil. Bringing the powerhouse nutrition and rich color and feel-good vibes, like it always does. Also being very forgiving of a few neglected days in the crisper drawer. Haven’t thought about vegetables for a few days? Haven’t been stocking the fridge? Kale don’t care.
PASTA. ♡ Fettuccine if your name is Lindsay, but any other noodles will work. As much as we love kale, the noodles give our leafy green veg a promotion to comfort-food-that-we-actually-want-to-eat status. VERY IMPORTANT around here, kids. Very important.
SAUCE. ♡ We are talking about a plant-powered creamy sauce (read that again: plant powered creamy sauce) that is so full to the brim with good things such as cashews, almond milk, garlic, olive oil, salt, and lemon that it’s guaranteed that you are literally going to freak out about the velvety texture of this sauce. Just call me when you make it.
Hey guess what, regular busy people of the world?
In all those three sections, to make this entire luscious recipe, we are only ever using 5 ingredients. Just give me salt and olive oil for free, okay? This recipe can be made with pasta, kale, garlic, cashews, and almond milk. (And salt and olive oil. And lemon if you’re fancy today. Which we are. Obviously.)
Guess what else?
All these ingredients are pantry-friendly. Pasta, garlic, salt, olive oil, and almond milk? FAHREAL. These are things that can sit in your deserted house when you would choose to go out to eat a million times or maybe take a long weekend away because #summer and then come back into the kitchen a week later with hardly any forethought and say, THANKS GUYS FOR BEING HERE FOR ME. Not so much with the cream, the milk, all the dairy stuff you left in your fridge. But YES with the almond milk.
And even the kale. I mean, seriously, kale loves us. It just waits patiently for us in the fridge and forgives us so much more than any other leafy green vegetable.
Not that I ever find myself in situations like that. I mean, no. Me? Not at all.
(I lie. My whole life is that situation, especially when I come back from a long weekend in Florida like where I am this exact current weekend and like where you should come along for the virtual ride with me via Snapchat. To celebrate 7 years of marriage, Bjork and I driving from Miami to Key West in a totally chintzy – and by chintzy I mean awesome – tiny red convertible. I don’t know how or why this is happening, but it is and it shall be documented. Then we’ll make this together when I come home because everything will be ready and waiting and because it’s extremely creamy, buttery sans butter, and delicious.)
- 3-4 cups shredded kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cashews (soaked - see directions)
- ½ cup Almond Breeze Almondmilk Unsweetened Original
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice if you have it
- 8 ounces of whatever kind of pasta you like!
- Place cashews in a bowl. Cover with water and soak for about 2 hours. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat the oil over medium low heat. Add the garlic and kale and saute for 5-10 minutes until very soft. Keep the heat low to avoid burning the garlic. Season with salt.
- Pulse all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until very smooth.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve about 2 cups of the water from the pot when you drain the pasta.
- Toss the hot pasta with the sauce, kale, and just enough of the reserved pasta water to carry the sauce throughout all the noodles. Top with Parm, salt, and pepper. Voila!
Thank you to Almond Breeze for making this creamy sauce a reality!