I think I could be a vegetarian if it were not for sausage.
I love sausage. I love a good brunch. And I love my friends. And I really love a reunion with friends who I don’t see more than a few times each year. And ultimately, if that reunion could include a brunch that includes sausage? Power combo.
Then again, just about anything we could do or eat with these friends seems better than what we did a few years ago: two days of camping in the freezing cold rain and eating PB&J sandwiches in our schnazzy car (the one with over 200,000 miles on it).
Nothing brings people together like the need for warmth, shelter, and a shower.
But if given the choice, I’d prefer to be brought together by this amazingly pretty and colorful sausage and red pepper quiche.
This sausage and red pepper quiche is adapted from our favorite bed and breakfast in Duluth, MN. Made with wild rice, sausage, red pepper, eggs, and cheese.
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 can cream of mushroom/chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups cooked breakfast sausage or bacon, drained
- 1 diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (or other) cheese
- 7 beaten eggs
- 2-3 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (I used the jarred kind)
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients and bake at 375 for about 40 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
I considered dumping a few spoonfuls of that yummy Avocado Tomatillo Sauce over this. But then the spoonfuls ended up in my mouth before they made it to the plate. No worries; this quiche can definitely stand alone!