I love when comfort food dinners magically appear in my Crockpot.
Magic broccoli cheese soup is the perfect thing that allows me to avoid the kitchen and yet find myself on the couch with a bowl of cheesy goodness watching cat videos. And I say cat videos is because we’ve already watched every pug video that exists on the internet.
That’s actually not a joke.
This deliciously easy scenario typically starts with me emailing Bjork at noon, begging him to put these five ingredients in the slow cooker, and responding to his 14 questions via Google chat about what medium sized florets look like.
Translation: you could probably make this blindfolded and with one hand tied behind your back. Chop, pour, and switch on, and jump back into whatever you were doing, like if you’re me, devouring every page of the Hunger Games. Which have completely overtaken my life, again. I’m currently plowing through the third one and I’m already making a plan for how I’m going to console myself when I’m done with it.
Maybe eat soup forever? That’s the best I can do right now.
Guess what’s awesome to eat? Creamy, thick, comforting soup, with pieces of yummy cheese-covered broccoli, and buttery bread dunked in it, and cheese melted into it, and then a little more of all of it.
- 2-3 large heads of broccoli
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cans cream of chicken, potato, or mushroom soup, homemade version here
- 1 can milk (just refill the empty soup can)
- 2 12 ounce cans evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheddar cheese for topping
- Chop broccoli into bite-sized florets.
- Place soup, milk, evaporated milk, onion, and broccoli in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8.
- Blend 3-4 cups of soup until broccoli has broken into small pieces, about 10 seconds. Add back to the pot and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and top with shredded cheese.
And now, watch and love.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products