I’m baaaaack! with more meal prep!
This time it’s got shredded chicken, lentils, and a dangerous amount of kicky green flavor: jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, limes. The top is begging for a little cotija cheese crumble – and by a little I mean a REAL GOOD CHUNK – and the little extra lime juice shower just before eating is not negotiable. Serve it up with brown rice (look at you, healthy!) and it is a protein powerhouse lunch.
As with all 15 Minute Meal Prep recipes in this series, things are very straightforward and simple.
- Salsa verde
- …and so on and so forth.
The only real thing you need to do to prep this recipe is chop the veggies, and then pop it all into the slow cooker or Instant Pot and let the magic happen.
It makes for happy leftovers (which is kind of the whole idea with meal prep, right?) and if you get sick of eating it with rice (or cauli rice for our low-carbers), it can be repurposed in a variety of ways.
Think: tacos, quesadillas, nachos, soups, burritos, and on and on.
That’s it. That’s all there is to it. Cilantro Lime Chicken and Lentils for the happy desk lunch win!
15 Minute Meal Prep is the gift that keeps on giving.
Check out our video for how to make Cilantro Lime Chicken and Lentil Rice Bowls:Print
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken and Lentil Bowls! The BEST easy protein powerhouse meal prep. Just 15 mins of prep and totally hands-off cooking!
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 3 cups salsa verde
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, diced (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Add everything to the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 mins. Quick release the steam. Stir it all up and add more salsa verde as desired.
- Serve with rice and a squeeze of lime!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Note: Expect about 10-15 mins for the Instant Pot to come to pressure before the cook time starts.
Slow Cooker: Cook for 8 hours on low. The chicken probably only needs 4 hours so add it halfway if you want to be really on top of it and keep your chicken from drying out.
Freezer Meal Version
- Freeze Together:
2 cups dried lentils
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
3 cups salsa verde
1/2 small onion, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeños, diced (ribs and seeds removed)
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
3 cups chicken broth (can add at cook time)
- Instant Pot Instructions: High pressure 25 mins + 10 mins natural release
- Slow Cooker Instructions: High setting 6 hours (thaw first)
- Final Step: Serve with rice and cilantro.
- Check out our full freezer meal posts with all recipes and instructions here!
- Category: Meal Prep
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Keywords: chicken lentil bowls, lentil rice bowls, rice bowls
Note: nutrition label does not include brown rice or cotija cheese.
One more thing!
This recipe is part of our flavor-packed jalapeño recipes page. Check it out!