These are the best carrot cake cupcakes I’ve ever had! With a cream cheese frosting, of course. Perfect for dessert or brunch!
For the cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots (heaping)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2+ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the grated carrots and the oil. Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring until just mixed. Add the beaten eggs and stir a few times (like 15 or less around the bowl – the fewer the better)!
- Grease a muffin tin or use paper liners. Scoop the batter into a muffin tin, filling each muffin tin about 2/3 of the way up the side. Bake for 13 minutes, check how they’re doing, and add a few minutes if necessary. I find that the baking time varies greatly with oven, so just check for the right golden brown color and springy tops. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- For the frosting, blend the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Transfer to a plastic bag or similar tool for piping the frosting evenly on the cupcakes.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
(Baking directly in the muffin tin without the liners is my favorite way to bake these, but it’s harder to get the perfect light brown color on the sides because they often get too dark brown. The ones pictured here turned out perfectly, but if you’re unsure, just use paper liners.)
If you love cream cheese frosting A LOT, you need to double the frosting. Having a little extra has never been a problem for me. 🙂
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake cupcakes, carrot cupcakes, cream cheese frosting, carrot cake dessert