SUMMER SAUCE WEEK IS HERE! CLICK HERE TO SEE THE MASTER LIST OF ALL OUR FAVORITE SAUCES!
I’m just gonna say right from the get-go…. green tahini is DELICIOUS but it is not for everyone.
If you don’t love tahini, this probably won’t make you love tahini (although it might slightly change your mind – baby steps).
This sauce is for specific subset of humans who love:
- The nutty, slightly bitter flavor of tahini
- Herbs, garlic, and green saucey things
- Creamy versatile sauces that are vegan
If you are looking for a more widely popular flavor profile, I would point you over to the Magic Green Sauce which has been a staple in my life (and many of your lives) for the last few years. Easy win.
But if you are bold, if you love to keep things interesting, if you’re looking to change up your sauce game from the usual, this one is dedicated specifically to you.
To start: tahini, herbs, garlic, oil, salt, lemon.
Is it herbed ranch dressing? Is it green goddess sauce?
IT’S GREEN TAHINI.
Green tahini goes best with mild-ish things that can handle a little bittery, zippy punch. For example:
- Roasted potatoes
- Roasted carrots, cauliflower, or broccoli
- Okay, any roasted veggies
- Grilled chicken
- Pitas / flatbreads
- Beans and grains
- Hard boiled eggs
(Here is a roasted vegetable bowl with green tahini that is one of my meal prep favorites – featuring roasted cauliflower, potato, carrot, onion, broccoli, a hard boiled egg, and some avocado drizzled with the love of a big spoonful of green tahini and squeezed with lemon.)
Check Out Our Video For How To Make Green Tahini:
Common Questions About Green Tahini
Yes, yes it does. It could definitely turn you towards *starting* to like tahini, but does not hide the tahini flavor.
Yes! Basil would be another good option to throw into the mix.
This is a very tahini-centered recipe. If you’d like something similar that’s sesame-free, our Magic Green Sauce would be a great alternative.
Naturally, this recipe has a little bitter bite (which we love!). But if it’s not your thing, feel free to add a little honey or agave to taste to sweeten it up a bit.
This sauce will last for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Green Tahini! Nutty, herby, garlicky, vegan, and extremely versatile. Just six ingredients and amazing with roasted veggies, chicken, or grains.
- 1/2 cup olive oil (mild tasting)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- a big bunch of both cilantro and parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- squeeze of half a lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste – I like salt 🙂 so ~1 teaspoon is what I use)
- Blend up all your sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Taste and adjust. If the sauce is too runny, add a little more tahini.
- Pour over roasted vegetables, beans, grains, protein… anything that needs to be woken up with some rich and creamy flavor!
The equipment section above contains an affiliate link to a product we use and love!
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: green tahini, tahini sauce, tahini recipe
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our Sauces That Make Everything Better roundup. Check it out!