Vegan Walnut Chorizo Tacos! Chipotle mayo! Pineapple salsa! Lime squeeze! Let me declare to the internet with a bullhorn – you do not need to be vegan to love these beauties.
This RECIPE is sponsored by ALDI
Today at the party we have:
Smoky walnut cauliflower chorizo (honestly though, the texture! it’s crumbly and flavorful and delicious just like chorizo).
Juicy-sweet pineapple salsa loaded with jalapeno, lime, and cilantro.
Avocado mash, quick purple cabbage slaw, and a nice swish of chipotle mayo on top, all tucked into a roasted tortilla.
How about a big ol’ Y-E-S to that?
Okay, here’s a bonus: you can buy all these ingredients at ALDI. No joke, I added up the cost of my ALDI taco ingredients and compared it to the cost of the ingredients from a different grocery store.
- Other store: $48.14
- ALDI: $24.44
HELLO MONEY IN MY POCKET. Let’s buy all our stuff at ALDI – juicy fresh pineapple and jumbo bag of would-have-been expensive walnuts included!
The Making of Vegan Walnut Chorizo Tacos
Alright, magical times ahead.
Cauliflower, walnuts, chipotles, and a pinch of spices. Pulse, bake, and you’re done.
Yeah, like if you haven’t done this yet, you haven’t really lived.
There are lots of other elements to this recipe – pineapple salsa, slaw, avocado mash, and chipotle mayo – and to me, all of them are necessary. What is the opposite of a taco minimalist? That is me. I want it all. Let’s do it all up.
But really, even though there’s a lot going on, it doesn’t take long. You know I have zero time for impractical food prep. While your cauliflower walnut taco meat bakes up, you are prepping all the stuffs. No biggie.
Then, you are stuffing the stuffs in a tortilla. With more stuffs.
Which brings us to this moment, where you’re grabbing a taco and drenching it with lime (more = more) and SERIOUSLY GOING TO TOWN.
These are my faaaaavorite tacos of summer, tied with these chicken tinga tacos. Between these two, Bjork and I cannot pick a winner.
SO MUCH LOVE TO THESE WALNUT CHORIZO TACOS! Mwah! Mwah! Mwah!
How to make our Walnut Chorizo Tacos:
Walnut Chorizo Tacos with Pineapple Salsa! Spicy walnut/cauliflower “meat”, fresh guacamole, tangy slaw, and a homemade pineapple salsa. My favorite tacos!
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups Southern Grove Walnuts, whole
- 2 individual Pueblo Lindo Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon Stonemill Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Stonemill Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pineapple, cored and diced
- 2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- Purple cabbage
- WALNUT “CHORIZO”: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pulse everything in a food processor until evenly ground, similar to the texture of ground meat. Transfer to a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway to prevent browning.
- PINEAPPLE SALSA: Mix!
- PREP YOUR EXTRAS: Mash your avocados with some garlic powder, salt, and lime juice. Toss your shredded cabbage with lime juice, olive oil, and salt. Char the tortillas over an open gas burner.
- TACOS: Layer avocado mash, walnut chorizo, pineapple salsa, and slaw into a soft, warm, charred tortilla. Oh my gosh. Be amazed.
Also delicious with a drizzle of chipotle mayo (pictured) or a thwap of sour cream or Greek yogurt over the top!
Limes = more is more, if you ask me!
Thank you to ALDI for sponsoring this post!