How secretly great are salmon burgers?
They are golden brown, crispy, spicy, barely sweet and savory little bundles of flavor. You can serve them on a fluffy brioche bun with some spicy mayo and slaw, or just go bun-less and tuck these crispy flavor bombs straight into a salad, which is how I like them – just nestled onto some dressed spring greens, or a bagged salad mix, with a squiggle of spicy mayo on top.
These ones in particular have that umami-rich flavor and a little sweet-spicy zing to them from the combo of red curry paste and brown sugar and lively lemongrass. They are so, so good. I love them, Bjork loves them, toddler loves them. Five-star reviews all around in this house!
Salmon burgers are never the thing you think of, and yet, somehow. when they make their way into your life, they’re always a total dinner star. These ones are shockingly easy thanks to – yes, trust me – CANNED SALMON, and they are crispy, versatile, and super nutritious.
Long Live The Short Ingredient List
The ingredient list stays short (SOS) but the flavor is big, bold, and fun thanks to soy sauce, curry paste, and, if you can find it, lemongrass. (I use a lemongrass paste, which is very user-friendly and also adds a tad bit of sweetness and it’s just so lovable in so many recipes, especially these salmon burgers.)
Here are the ingredients worth mentioning:
- canned salmon
- red curry paste
- soy sauce
- lemongrass paste – not essential but very, very yummy
Likely you already have the rest: olive oil, salt, garlic powder, brown sugar.
And anything else is just the serve-with-it extras, which, to be honest, in our house is often a bagged or deli-purchased salad. No hard feelings! An exciting, vibrant, super delicious meal is on the table. Semi-homemade is the way it is right now. Let’s celebrate it.
Spicy Salmon Burgers: FAQs
You can use leftover poached, grilled, baked, or steamed salmon here if you have that handy.
Panko gives a really nice texture to this burgers – highly recommend! If you want to ditch the refined grains, whole wheat breadcrumbs could work as well. If you want a gluten-free option, almond flour could be substituted.
Leftovers keep really well – 3 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer!
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Source notes: These salmon burgers are a play on our well-loved original salmon burgers recipe – except this time with a little bit of Asian-inspired flavor and subtle kick.Print
These Spicy Salmon Burgers are little bundles of flavor! Canned salmon, panko, refreshing lemongrass, and a sweet-spicy zingy combo of red curry paste and brown sugar. So good and so simple!
For the Spicy Salmon Burgers:
- 14–15 ounces canned salmon
- 2 eggs (see notes)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup panko (start there, add more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil for frying
- buns and toppings like cilantro or sliced cucumber
- OR bagged salad (like an Asian-style salad)
- OR shredded cabbage (either homemade or store bought, tossed with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and sugar) <– my personal favorite
- Drain the salmon and flake it apart. Mix the burger ingredients together. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a nonskillet over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve however you like! I love these burgers on a tangy slaw and topped with a dollop of plain yogurt, sour cream, or spicy mayo.
I feel like every batch I make of these is a little different depending on the amount of moisture in the salmon, so just play with the egg / panko ratios as needed. If you find that your mixture is too crumbly or not sticking together well, you can add another half or full egg (to total 3 eggs). I’ve had some 2-egg batches, and some 3-egg batches – both turned out great. You can also add more panko to help things hold, or you can add a little bit of mayo to help the whole thing stick together!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pan-Fry
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: salmon burger, spicy salmon, salmon recipe