Coconut Curry Salmon! Broiled salmon with a salty-sweet spice rub, creamy coconut curry sauce, and steamy rice to soak it all up.
Salmon has never been this good.
I mean, I know we talked a big game with those barbecue salmon bowls, and those salmon burgers with the crunchy slaw may be one of the most-made, last-minute, healthy-delicious meals of my life. And all the myriad other ways that I love to cook salmon.
But I think this one is top of the list for me now. Coconut curry salmon is everything I ever needed to happen to salmon, like, actually happening.
A quality piece of salmon. An aggressively salty-sweet spice rub. A quick high-heat trip to the oven. A simple, creamy, barely spicy, and MEGA flavorful sauce poured over the whole thing. Probably too much (but never too much) lime squeezing. And a steamy rice bed sopping everything up.
Count me in.
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Reasons This Curry Salmon Is My Everything:
- So fast
- So easy
- Comfort food
- High protein
- Lots of good fats
- Creamy but not in a heavy way
- JUST THE FLAVOR HONESTLY
And if you like the curry vibe but you’re not so sure about salmon, no judgment. You are in the right place.
Coconut Curry Salmon: FAQs
If you prefer, you can cut the salmon into steaks, salt and pepper them, and just add them to the simmering coconut curry sauce for 8-10 minutes. This will poach the salmon. I prefer the texture of the roasted / spiced salmon but I have done it both ways and it will work either way! You can also check out all the other myriad of ways to cook salmon.
Nope, not spicy but it does have LOTS of flavor!
Fluffy white rice is sooooo good with this and you could do a little green salad on the side, too.
Coconut Curry Salmon! Broiled salmon with a salty-sweet spice rub, creamy coconut curry sauce, and steamy rice to soak it all up. YUM.
- 1 1/2 lbs. salmon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more for a larger filet)
- 1–2 teaspoons olive oil
Coconut Curry Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small knob of ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon of lemongrass paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- lots of lime juice and zest
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- cilantro, basil, mint, or other fresh herbs
- Get the oven ready: Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place one of the oven racks close-ish to the top, about 6 inches or so.
- Make your rice: Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Salmon: Mix the spices and the olive oil to make a paste. Place the salmon skin side down on the baking sheet. Rub the paste liberally over the top part of the salmon. Bake for 6-12 minutes (depends on salmon thickness and desired doneness – I usually opt for 8-10 minutes). See notes and FAQs for potential broiling issues and alternative methods.
- Coconut Curry Sauce: Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and lemongrass; sauté for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and curry paste; sauté for 3 minutes. Add coconut milk. Season with fish sauce and lime juice to taste. Add spinach; stir into the sauce until wilted.
- Serve: Place salmon over rice. Cover with sauce, lime juice, and fresh herbs.
If you try broiling the salmon, it can work (I have done it many times) but it is possible for your salmon, when rubbed with the sugar mixture, to light on fire if you get it too close to the heating element of your oven. If you are concerned about this, I would just use the regular oven temp of 450/475 as directed and wait until the oven has preheated to put your salmon in.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Thai-Inspired
Keywords: salmon recipe, salmon curry, coconut curry, curry recipe, seafood curry
More Salmon Faves
- Hot Honey Salmon
- Baked Salmon with Amazing Lemon Sauce
- Perfect Baked Salmon with Lentils and Lemon Herb Sauce
- Yummy Salmon Burgers with Slaw
Time To Show You Off!
Tag @pinchofyum on Instagram for a chance to be featured
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our yummy spinach recipes page. Check it out!