I like this little tradition that I’ve established.
Apple-desserts-and/or-breakfasts posts on Fridays.
The only person complaining about this tradition is my ambitiously slim pencil skirt, which I might add was probably the worst purchase of 2011. It’s greyish, pinstriped, adorable, and I love it in theory. But in reality, I love cinnamon sugar apple cake and looser-fitting clothes.
There went $35 I could have spent on more apples. Sigh.
I need to stop talking about clothes and money and how I waste them both.
So, the apple cake.
It’s delicious. Bjork and I ate the. whole. thing. As in, the whole cake. A little piece here, and a little piece there, and three more pieces after dinner. It adds up quickly.
This cake was the perfect weekend breakfast (not to mention Monday snack and Tuesday 2nd dinner), and guess what’s right around the corner? That would be my good friend The Weekend.
I’m hoping with my fingers crossed that your weekend includes this cake.
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (you can sub milk+vinegar, or plain yogurt+milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ cups chopped apples (I used Wealthy heirloom)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix ingredients in order given (except the last 3 ingredients).
- Pour batter into a 9×13 greased pan.
- Combine last 3 ingredients to make a topping and sprinkle it evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. It’s delicious when served warm!
In keeping with tradition: TGIF! Those little 4th grade buggers sure know how to wear a girl out.
How are you going to relax this weekend? I wouldn’t be mad if you said by making this cake.