Baked potatoes are just there for us, ya know?
They come out of the oven hot and steamy, with the crisp skins and the super comforting potatoey insides, and they can shine with nothing more than butter and salt.
But why stop at butter? Let’s make them REALLY shine, like glitter and neon lights style.
Let’s Bring These Baked Potatoes To The Next Level
These loaded BBQ baked potatoes are filled with a creamy garlic herb spinach and potato mixture and then loaded with BBQ chicken, caramelized little pan roasted mushrooms, bleu cheese crumbles, crispy onions, and chives. Ho-lee-smokes. Crunchy. Saucy. Creamy, tangy, sweet. So filling. The flavors, the textures… if a minimalist baked potato is your dream, you may have to look elsewhere. This one is more of a maximalist situation for those of us who like their baked potatoes to go big, messy, and borderline excessive.
So even though, technically yes, this is a really intense BBQ baked potato situation, it is actually quite easy to put together because SOS times don’t allow for lots of tinkering in the kitchen, ya know? If it’s possible to be both maximalist and low-key, this is that.
Here’s What You’ll Need To Get Cooking
Here is our short ingredient list:
- garlic herb spreadable cheese, goat cheese, etc. (maybe you have some leftover from this recipe?)
- BBQ sauce
And then the rest of the toppings are up to you: crispy onions, chives, bleu cheese, one or all of the above. (A STRONG VOTE IN FAVOR OF ALL.)
How To Make These Loaded BBQ Baked Potatoes
You’re going to bake the potatoes (easy).
Then bake the chicken and mushrooms (easy).
Then mix the potato / spinach filling (easy).
Then assemble (easy and fun).
You can eat these deconstructed, which is convenient for the toddler or picky kiddo, or you can eat them piled high, which is convenient for people who like to post pictures of their meals (it me), or you can just pick and choose which elements you want on which nights and somehow you might end up with two or three different meals out of this whole thing – leftover BBQ chicken on a salad, potato skin remnants tossed into a breakfast skillet, things like that.
They’re creamy, packed with flavor, loaded with feel-good veggies, like spinach and potato and mushrooms, perfectly spicy-sweet thanks to the BBQ sauce, and just begging for you to sink your teeth in with lots of mess and zero shame. Loaded BBQ baked potatoes FTW.
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Loaded BBQ Baked Potatoes: FAQs
Just leave out the chicken and go with mushrooms! Or sofritas instead of chicken would be just *chef’s kiss*!
Good ol’ cheddar cheese would be great!
We’re taking these Loaded BBQ Baked Potatoes to the max! Perfectly overstuffed with a creamy garlic herb spinach and potato mixture and loaded up with BBQ chicken, pan-roasted mushrooms, bleu cheese crumbles, crispy onions, and chives.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- a sprinkle of garlic power, onion powder, salt, and pepper
- 1/2 cup garlic herb spreadable cheese, or garlic herb goat cheese
- a handful of fresh spinach
- optional toppings: chives, crunchy onions, bleu cheese crumbles
- Bake Potatoes: Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Poke potatoes with a fork; place on a sheet pan and roast for 60 minutes.
- Bake Mushrooms and Chicken: Place mushrooms and chicken on a sheet pan. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with spices to taste. Roast for 30 minutes. Shred chicken. Toss both with BBQ sauce. (Optional: to get the mushrooms a little extra yummy, put them back in the oven for 5 minutes or so with the sauce on them.)
- Mix Filling: Cut potatoes in half. Scoop out some of the flesh, but leave a thin layer around the outside skins so the potatoes will still stand on their own. Mix potato flesh with garlic herb spreadable cheese and spinach, until creamy and spinach is wilted. You can add a little oil, water, or milk if you need to thin it out a bit. Season with salt and pepper.
- Load Em Up: Use the spinach filling to fill the potato skins back up. Top with mushrooms and chicken, more BBQ sauce, and any toppings you love (like, all of them).
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: baked potatoes, stuffed potatoes, bbq baked potatoes
Potatoes! Potatoes! Potatoes! We Love Lil’ Spuds!
- Caprese Chicken with Smashed Potatoes (golden and crispy perfectly smashed potatoes with fake-fancy chicken? YES PLEASE!)
- Homemade Gnocchi (potatoes turned gnocchi pasta friend? here for it!)
- Healthy Chipotle Sweet Potato Skins (another loaded up potato fave)
- The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (the absolute easiest side dish)