It’s SOUP DAY! And I’m seriously excited for you. It’s time for the Best Detox Crockpot Lentil Soup.
Because I see you, hungry reader whose life is crazy right now, who has a hard time finding the time to cook even though you love food, who opens the fridge to grab a quick lunch to take to work in the morning rush only to find NOTHING that seems good enough, who values the big bowl of comfort food pasta above all else, who is not asking for much other than GOOD FOOD that is made for REAL LIFE.
I see you. I know you think I’m not watching because I’m on the other side of this computer-ma-jig, but I’m watching (um, in a not-creepy and not-literal way – just felt like I should clarify. pls don’t leave.).
So since I see you and understand you because I am just like you in these feelings, today I honor you (us?) with this super cozy, big-time nutritious, easy to prepare soup.
This is called Detox Crockpot Lentil Soup, which means nothing scientifically as you’ll notice that my bowl of DETOX soup is topped with a few thick chunks of Parmesan cheese and served with that addicting crusty-warm bread. Right, about that. We did sneak a few detox foods into this soup (kale, onions, garlic, carrots, and olive oil) and anyways, in my book, the best kinds of detox foods are the ones that ACTUALLY TASTE GOOD.
And while this soup tastes good without the extras, it tastes BETTER with them. Cue the bread and cheese.
How to Make the BEST Lentil Soup
As is my goal with most recipes I make for Pinch of Yum, this crockpot lentil soup was made for real life. Because it’s literally for my real life.
We’re starting with a solid base: onions, garlic, carrots, celery, spices, salt, and broth.
Then we’re getting awesome by adding butternut squash, which partially melts into a creamy textured miracle, lentils (always lentils), and yellow split peas because WOW color.
After all this simmers up into the best house smells and then we do the magic thing that takes it over the top: puree a portion of the soup with that olive oil to form a silky emulsion that then gets added back into the soup. YES PLZ 4EVR.
I ended mine with a spash of sherry and red wine vinegar because I’m currently having a moment with tangy foods.
What to Serve with Lentil Soup
There’s a lot going on in this soup, but if you want to round it out for a whole meal, I’d recommend a few extras:
- No Knead Bread (ESSENTIAL)
- No Knead Cheese Bread (YES)
- One-Ingredient Socca (yummy gluten-free flatbread for dipping purposes)
- Simple green salad
Literally the Easiest
That’s it. That’s the soup. SO EASY. It requires a bit of front-end chopping to prep the veggies, but I’d guess it took me 30-45 minutes to cut everything up and get it in the crockpot, and in return I was gifted with 8 soup servings of this nutritious + cozy wonderfood. NOT A BAD DEAL.
Cheers to you and your people enjoying many glowing bowls of crockpot lentil soup for all the days to come. 👍👍👍
Check out our video for how to make Detox Lentil Soup:
Detox Crockpot Lentil Soup – a clean and simple soup made with onions, garlic, carrots, olive oil, squash, and LENTILS! Super healthy and easy to make.
For the crockpot:
- 2 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups potatoes (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 3/4 cup yellow split peas (or just use more lentils)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8–10 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
Add at the end:
- 2–3 cups kale (stems removed, chopped)
- 1 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup olive oil – rosemary olive oil or other herb infused oil is delicious
- a swish of sherry, red wine vinegar, or lemon juice to add a nice tangy bite
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Place about 4 cups of soup in a blender with the olive oil. Pulse gently until semi-smooth and creamy-looking (the oil will form a creamy emulsion with the soup). Add back to the pot and stir to combine. Stir in the kale and parsley. Turn the heat off and just let everything chill out for a bit before serving. The taste gets better with time and so does the texture, IMO!
- Season to taste (add the sherry, vinegar, and/or lemon juice at this point) and to really go next level, serve with crusty wheat bread and a little Parmesan cheese. It’s called Detox Balance. 😉
The equipment section above contains an affiliate link to a product we use and love!
Instant Pot: Place same first group of ingredients in the Instant Pot and cook on the soup setting for 30 mins with a quick release. Follow the same blending instructions and then add kale and parsley.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentil soup, crockpot soup, slow cooker soup, vegetarian soup, vegan soup
TIME TO SHOW YOU OFF!
Tag @pinchofyum on Instagram for a chance to be featured
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of best healthy soups. Check it out!